Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My old reliable MM16 is having troubles

Tom...the tires on my 2004 era MM16 are flat and not crowned. You keep coming back to this for some reason. The bands are not run in the center of the tire; rather, they have the teeth just off the tire/wheel.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No bandsaw has flat tires Jim, that's just a misconception, or should I say obfuscation to be more specific.
    (a deliberate act if you ask me)
    Obviously you don't have a spare on hand to see for yourself. took me a while to actually have a proper ganda at mine!

But I suppose... it could be the case of some believing the differing sized machines have different profiles,
    like the 440mm wheeled machines made from the second best manufacturers of bandsaws down the road!
    Screenshot-2023-6-14 ACM 440 Bandsaw Range - YouTube.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDK83aVUL9w

All the best
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 12-30-2023 at 12:22 PM.

Just thought I'd check in with an update. I checked over the blade with a bright light and a magnifier and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Even the weld looked clean and smooth. I took that blade off (for the first time ever!) and checked the tires. They seemed fine, to my untrained eye and touch.

I mounted the 1/2" Wood Slicer but need to reposition the guides and thrust bearing. The upper ones were no problem but the lower ones will need some leverage to break loose the thumbscrews that lock it in place. I had to stop for the day as this 75-year old frame doesn't take kindly to crawling around on the floor. Hopefully I can get the lower guide adjusted and try running the new blade tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Tom, you have a completely different saw from a different era. But no matter, we can just choose to disagree.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    No bandsaw has flat tires Jim
    Tom
    No bandsaw is a very bold statement. There has never been one in the history of bandsaws? My very old Yates American with babit bearings has flat tires. It seems Centauro does too. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....e-saw-band-saw
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 12-30-2023 at 6:42 PM.

I can say with 100% certainty that every Minimax-spec Centauro ever made has totally flat tires. Regardless of size. Not mildly crowned, not slightly round-overed, but totally flat. I’ve installed many of them!

IMG_0689.jpg

Maybe vintage machines were different? I have no idea.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Thanks, Erik. That was my understanding, too, from hanging out with you folks "back in the day".
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Tom, you have a completely different saw from a different era. But no matter, we can just choose to disagree.
    Completely different, yet Sam Blasco tracks the Centauro made MM16, and the newer ACM formula saws the exact same as is suggested for these machines.
    I think we're agreed on that last part.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    No bandsaw is a very bold statement. There has never been one in the history of bandsaws? My very old Yates American with babit bearings has flat tires. It seems Centauro does too. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....e-saw-band-saw
    My saw with vulcanized tires had a flat profile on them also.
    Though I dressed them as such, they didn't come like that, for good reason, as you can read on page 20
    https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads...manual.141846/

" MAIN TROUBLE AND RELATIVE REMEDIES "

The blade moves very far back when it receives the cutting force
    -
    Insufficient flywheel seal convexity, notify the technical service of the area dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I can say with 100% certainty that every Minimax-spec Centauro ever made has totally flat tires. Regardless of size. Not mildly crowned, not slightly round-overed, but totally flat. I’ve installed many of them!

Maybe vintage machines were different? I have no idea.

Erik

As mentioned Erik, I dressed my tires to make a totally flat profile before, and not just once to be sure,
    aswell as considering the edge of the wheel had some importance in regards to acting as a crown, and making sure it was consistent,
    so experimentation thereafter in regards to wheel depth in chassis.
    All those things did nothing in regards to having anywhere satisfactory beam tension, i.e the blade was refusing to cut.
    tire dressing jig .jpg
    SAM_8082-02.jpeg
    Edge chamfering thereafter for consistency
    Screenshot from SAM_6242.MP4 - 1.jpg

And some wheel depth experimentation after levelling the machine beforehand
    SAM_4964 (copy).jpegSAM_4977.jpg

SAM_6221.jpg SAM_6227.jpg

I can post some more about that, if there's a misunderstanding or perhaps some scrutiny instead.

So my point being, if it is indeed true what you say about these snap on tires seemingly
    having a visually flat profile, that doesn't mean it acts as such.

And anticlastic curvature doesn't account for the cambered apex, which is offset by 1mm,
    on these flat profiled wheels.
    I can't take a screenshot of the Centauro wheels, but those are also machined flat from what little I've seen of them.
    ACM wheels Screenshot from ACM 440 Bandsaw Range.mp4.jpg

One possible reason for this I guess, is the face of the wheels throwing things off when using a straight edge against them.
    I've maxed out my picture count, but can show how much times I questioned if I might have been off by possibly one degree perhaps,
    but then again, I did muck about for a very long time trying various adjustments, etc..

All the best

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 12-30-2023 at 9:23 PM.