Thread: new rolling stock

new rolling stock

Miles stopped by to pick up some spruce logs at the landing with his newly purchased 2000 vintage forwarding trailer. Street legal with high speed wheel hubs and detachable fenders, 12' long bed with a 6500#winch and an on-board gas engine powering the hydraulic pump that should pick up about 1000# at full extension and 2500# at half extension. It will be handy for loading logs at the mill and getting rid of offcuts.
    DSC_1527.jpgDSC_1528.jpg

The spruce was left from last winter's logging, didn't fit on the truck, so Miles is salvaging it while still useable. Traditionally most small scale logging here is done in the winter when the ground is frozen, as skidding is easier on the land and equipment. Last year our part-time logger got in no more than 5 weekends due to the warm temperatures and it's questionable whether he will be back this year the way things are going. We may have to wait for a dry summer to do the scheduled cutting. A number of small-time loggers are calling it quits due to the change in climate, and that will have a real impact on the forest ecology/economy in this state of small second-growth timber holdings.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 12-29-2023 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Miles stopped by to pick up some spruce logs at the landing with his newly purchased 2000 vintage forwarding trailer. Street legal with high speed wheel hubs and detachable fenders, 12' long bed with a 6500#winch and an on-board gas engine powering the hydraulic pump that should pick up about 1000# at full extension and 2500# at half extension. It will be handy for loading logs at the mill and getting rid of offcuts.
    DSC_1527.jpgDSC_1528.jpg
    I own one a little bigger than that that I love and use a lot. I have a dump box for mine too, and have used it a lot for standing up timberframes. I just take the grapple off and use a lifting hook instead. He is a video I did salvaging a bunch of hemlock logs to turn into timbers for a new shop: https://youtu.be/9UK5AJaLdI0?si=Yvem1AkHJuHD4pjK
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Thanks for posting that, Brent. Those blowdown situations can be sketchy, especially the tipped-over rootballs, and it's good to see you managing the logs safely. The trailer is obviously a very capable and flexible tool. Miles uses his small excavator for many lifting jobs that are small enough not to require a crane, but the new trailer will be a good addition to the fleet, which includes a heavy 4wd utility tractor like yours. He is planning to get some log stakes for the flatbed truck so as to be able to load both truck and trailer with the grapple.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 12-29-2023 at 11:59 AM.

Yes, a lot of folks have been killed by root balls going a different direction than expected, and trees settling unpredictably. I have worked commercially in the woods in the past and have seen most things, but still keep someone in the loop as to where I am and when and when I expect to be back.

I have found that owning a pickup, and a tractor and a forestry trailer is a great way to make friends!!
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3