Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miter Saw Conundrum

Miter Saw Conundrum

My 2004 era Craftsman non sliding miter saw has given up the ghost. I am trying to decide on what miter saw I should replace it with. I also have a Hammer B3 sliding table saw so that may be playing into my decision. I have started using that for my miter cuts besides long baseboard pieces. I still have some trim work to do. I am tempted to go back with a non sliding version and use the table saw for bigger capacity cuts. I picked up a Dewalt dws779 for a good price but it takes up more room than expected. I can still make it work just cut down on about 6" of walk space. I've looked at:

Bosch slider
    Makita slider 10 & 12"
    Metabo slider C12RSH2S $319 right now
    various non sliders

Anyone want to offer another train of thought?

Blog Entries
    I use my miter for major cuts. You want a sliding saw with saw tooth cutouts for locks. I have an older Makita that uses bearing catches that are useless..

My Hitachi, a Metabo predecessor, is deadly accurate, rarely needs adjustment, and if it does, is easy to adjust the fences to make square cuts again. I love mine. I also have a DeWalt slider on the stand which is very good, but I like my old Hitachi better.
    Regards,

Tom

I have that (I think) DeWalt saw. It's a workhorse, but I only use it on jobsites or possibly set up outside for a special carpentry project. The DeWalt 12" non-sllder is a good all around choice if pressed for room. I still use the ancestral 10" Makita saw- limited capacity but compact, especially since it's mounted above & behind other work surfaces.

Like Makita, although not the phase where they had ridiculously low fences on the sliders; dislike Bosch.

Hi Eric, I have a B3 and the mitre saw is relegated to the shed.

If you need a saw for baseboard use I would get a small non slider that’s light and easy to carry and store.

Regards, Rod

Well, I would stay away from Metabo. While I am mostly a woodturner I do have tools for flat work. I bought a Metabo 12" (non sliding) a year or so ago. The aluminum fence parts were warped slightly. Metabo customer service was a pain to work with. Went thru three replacement sets before I got a flat set. The last time they said it was the last set they would send me as they claimed I was doing something wrong on the install to warp them. Well the warp wasn't on the base/bottom of the fence where the two mounting bolts were. the warp was on the front face of the fence pieces. Will not buy another Metabo product again/

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    My Hitachi, a Metabo predecessor, is deadly accurate, rarely needs adjustment, and if it does, is easy to adjust the fences to make square cuts again. I love mine. I also have a DeWalt slider on the stand which is very good, but I like my old Hitachi better.
    I have a 12 year old Hitachi too that is quite easy to get perfect, and tends to stay there. I have also heard a lot of folks really like the deWalt 12" non-slider for deadly accuracy.

Blog Entries
    The problem I see is the difference between it being a job site work horse and a furniture quality tool. You need to decide what that tool is intended for.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    The problem I see is the difference between it being a job site work horse and a furniture quality tool. You need to decide what that tool is intended for.

Arguably, none of them are a furniture quality tool.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Arguably, none of them are a furniture quality tool.
    That’s an opinion and not a fact..

It's a workhorse, but I only use it on jobsites or possibly set up outside for a special carpentry project.“Cameron Wood

if your hauling it around on a truck, I can’t see it ever being accurate tool for furniture..

I use mine in a shop , setup and correct.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jack duren; 12-29-2023 at 1:15 PM.

If you aren't using the miter saw on the job why not consider other alternatives. One is a track saw with guide rail and a work table. Of course, Festool has these at a premium; likely much more than a miter saw, sliding or not. However, the track saw with an accompanying table and guide rail is much more versatile and I found extremely accurate for crosscuts. Plus it's a huge assist in cutting up sheet goods regardless of the sheet size. Anyway, just a suggestion of something to think about. Many love miter saws but, for in my shop, I never was a fan.

I think they're all about the same these days. Especially if you're looking at the cheaper, non-sliding versions. Most power tools today are going to be made in the same factory or two and the biggest differences are just going to cosmetic with maybe one or two features no one really uses. They'll even list slightly different specs, but have the same motor and whatnot. They go to great lengths to give the illusion that each one is different, when the only meaningful difference is often the profit margin. Whether or not you get a "good one" is more up to luck. So instead of brand or model, I'd focus on buying from a store with a good return policy. And then when you get it home, test it and measure it for any problems before you start cutting wood with it, in case you need to take it back.

Whether or not it's accurate enough for you depends on how accurate you need it to be. To one person, off by one tenth of one degree is too much to accept. To another, one or two degrees off in either direction is good enough with some wood filler.

I would look at Bosch glide or kapex if you want slide but don't want it to take up a ton of room.

As for whether to have one or not thats a matter of preference. I like it for many things.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    That’s an opinion and not a fact..

It's a workhorse, but I only use it on jobsites or possibly set up outside for a special carpentry project.“Cameron Wood

if your hauling it around on a truck, I can’t see it ever being accurate tool for furniture..

I use mine in a shop , setup and correct.

Yes, my opinion, but quite widely shared.
    The ones that get moved are not different from those that don't. And it's not about miter angle, it's about blade deflection. Any given cut will have a wider kerf at the top, where the blade enters. Most noticeable with miter cuts as the effect is doubled. Maybe a little better with a slider if the blade enters from the side. If you follow with a shooting board, it's obvious.

Blog Entries
    I’ve got a Dewalt 708 with no problems…I find the ones that dedicate time to the saw benefit from the rewards..

I demand accuracy and quality from my tools. If I don’t get that, I’ll share it..

I don’t even have a shooting board..
    Last edited by jack duren; 12-29-2023 at 2:45 PM.