Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lane Acclaim Dining Table - Input Please

Lane Acclaim Dining Table - Input Please

I have the opportunity to build this table for a client.

It can be extended to hold three leaves:

I know walnut was used for some of these tables. The edge profile looks to be red oak in the photos I've seen. I'm not sure if other woods were used, but I'm thinking mahogany and maple would look good.

I think the construction is veneer over plywood for the field with solid wood edging. The dovetail feature is separate from the edging (thankfully) and appears to be cosmetic only. The legs have an interesting flair where they meet the aprons. I think the extension mechanism is the simple wood type, maybe with a centering mechanism, but don't really know. The overall structure looks pretty light and I'm concerned about how sturdy it will be with the extensions installed. The extensions on this one look like they might be solid wood, but I've seen photos of others that have the same edging as on the table, which would suggest veneer over plywood plus the solid wood edge.

If anyone has any insight/recommendations I would appreciate your input very much. Thanks.

John

Thick veneer, right? Like at least 1/16".

Yeah, those leaves look like they should have the dovetail edge treatment too. Perhaps they are a repair, or replacement for lost leaves?

Me, I don't like wood table slides. I'd go to metal ones, probably from Poettker. Lee Valley sells some.

I refinished a table that had those big dovetail.
    It was veneered.
    Good Luck john
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Thick veneer, right? Like at least 1/16".

Yeah, those leaves look like they should have the dovetail edge treatment too. Perhaps they are a repair, or replacement for lost leaves?

Me, I don't like wood table slides. I'd go to metal ones, probably from Poettker. Lee Valley sells some.
    I use shop sawn veneer, Jamie so, yes, around 1/16". I've seen pictures of the leaves with and w/o the contrasting wood edging. It seems they were made both ways, but I'm inclined to use the edging. That will keep the construction the same for all of it, veneer over plywood plus edging.

I'll look into the metal slides. Thanks.

John

I was just about to say that it looks like something is missing without the edging on the leaves.

My parents had some of that style stuff. Dad’s Sister was married to a guy who was an executive at that company. Most of what
    my parents bought was just “too good to turn down” stuff and in styles that were ready to be shaded by the glamor of the NEW lines. They were frugal . Now I’m wondering if that edgy edge style was part
    of the coming “joints “ fads !

Nice looking chairs-do you think they are walnut or mahogany? I agree the table looks to be veneer over ply with solid edging, though my first thought was aged maple rather than red oak. I’ve had large tables with metal extensions and a well made MCM table with wood extensions. Both worked well so either way should work and I suspect metal would be less effort on your end. Should be a great project-any chance you can talk them out of the faux dovetails? LOL…regardless would be nice to match the edging on the leaves and table.

one last thought would be to track down clues from the Lane catalog on the web or maybe a good library…
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Jim beat me to it - the leaves are crying out for the same edging as the rest of the table.

I agree, the leaves need the same edge detail, but the table was sold at various times in both formats.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Nice looking chairs-do you think they are walnut or mahogany? I agree the table looks to be veneer over ply with solid edging, though my first thought was aged maple rather than red oak. I’ve had large tables with metal extensions and a well made MCM table with wood extensions. Both worked well so either way should work and I suspect metal would be less effort on your end. Should be a great project-any chance you can talk them out of the faux dovetails? LOL…regardless would be nice to match the edging on the leaves and table.

one last thought would be to track down clues from the Lane catalog on the web or maybe a good library…

I have no clue about the chairs. I've only really looked at the table, to be honest. Thanks for the info. on the slides. I'll probably go with metal as they should be easier to install and will provide the most robust and consistent performance year round.

I have a lane catalog. It doesn't provide very many clues, actually, but I have found some photos of ones for sale on various sites and those pictures have been helpful. It seems the table was built in several iterations, some with beaded aprons, some without, some with the end of the legs ebonized or otherwise made black, some not.

The faux dovetails are ugly, I agree, but that's part of what makes an Acclaim table an Acclaim table, so I think they are going to be part of the build. We'll see.

I'd really, really like to find a measured drawing for the table. If anyone has a clue where I might find one, I'd be very grateful.

John

Blog Entries
    A lot of work on that table. I wonder how many breakers there will be in the pattern?

The lady accepted my bid, so now it's time to get serious about this. My first task is to develop as accurate as practical drawing for it. After that's approved and I get a down payment to build it it'll be time to find some 12"+ wide mahogany.

Any recommendations on which mahogany to use? I'm planning to use plain sawn grain, if that influences your recommendation. Thanks.

John

Unless something has changed, Irion Lumber in north central PA usually has very nice wide mahogany available and the "good stuff", too. You could pick up from where you live or they ship, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Unless something has changed, Irion Lumber in north central PA usually has very nice wide mahogany available and the "good stuff", too. You could pick up from where you live or they ship, too.

Thanks Jim, but there's no need to go that far unless maybe I was looking for something exceptional. I have a local millwork shop that has a wide variety of wood species, most anything, including a lot of wide stuff. I'm more interested in what particular species of mahogany people might recommend for this table before I go there and annoy them for an hour pulling down several pallets to only buy a couple of three boards. I've done that several times in the past, so I guess my reputation precedes me, but it's a New Year and time to try to improve.

John

I like Honduras mahogany the other African mahogany is hard and heavy but not nearly as stable.
    Dont be fooled by African mah costing less. There is a unique aspect of Honduras mah look closely at the pores you should see little while specks. It will be a little lighter and softer.
    John probably already knows what I’m sharing. These word can be for anyone passing by.
    Good Luck
    Aj