Thread: Planing/Sawing Fence/Batten: Kicked Up a Notch

Planing/Sawing Fence/Batten: Kicked Up a Notch

The goal was to create a batten that could be used for both cross grain planing (e.g., Dado Plane) or sawing that could be used anywhere on the bench without needing clamps. I decided to employ the Veritas Inset Vise as a built-in clamp for the batten. The vise was inset into the end of the batten and works in concert with Veritas Bench Pups/Dogs (?) to allow the width capacity to be adjusted from 4" to 24" (arbitrary based on my needs). I have used this with a Dado plane and for guiding a crosscut for making a dado, and it worked will. I will be adding an auxiliary fence to allow saw registration for cutting sliding dovetails.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I like it a lot. Thanks for posting!

Cool idea. I may have to steal it.

That's creative!

You never cease to amaze me, that engineer’s mind at work! I may have to commission you to build me one! And look at you using wooden planes vs the screaming router!!

Kevin

Ha! I am thinking this will be in the next Lee Valley catalog

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
    You never cease to amaze me, that engineer’s mind at work! I may have to commission you to build me one! And look at you using wooden planes vs the screaming router!!

Kevin

This is a gorgeous thing of obvious utility. Nice going Phil, thanks for sharing.

Hi Phil

There are a couple of modifications you could make to your wonderful fence.

The first is to have one side square and the other angled for sliding dovetails ...

The underside of mine has sandpaper for non-slip, and hold down keeps it very stable ..

Sawing for sliding dovetails (but this could also be for a dado). The rare earth magnets in the face hold the plate to the fence ...

Dado ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks all for the kind words and suggestions. I wanted to mention that Rev. 0 of this device used a much less expensive piece of hardware, again from Lee Valley: the Wonder Pup. Not as slick as the inset vise, but it can be made to work in much the same way.
    [IMG][/IMG]