Thread: Slightly off topic: wooden satellites

Blog Entries

Slightly off topic: wooden satellites

Apparently Japan is working on a wooden satellite. I know many of you would do this up nicely with inlays, contrasting woods, and perhaps some nice carvings. I’m waiting for the next SMC post: “What finish does best in space?”

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/11/07/a...spc/index.html

I wonder if they will need to use torification to reduce the risk of moisture that might come with being in what is essentially a totally dry environment? That said, I think that they might be on to something where there's no need to maintain any kind of atmosphere...satellites kinda fit that description.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I wonder if they will need to use torification to reduce the risk of moisture that might come with being in what is essentially a totally dry environment? That said, I think that they might be on to something where there's no need to maintain any kind of atmosphere...satellites kinda fit that description.
    Good question. Would there be evaporation in space? I guess with the sun being direct, it could heat up and off gas moisture. Torrified lumber would be a good option. I build a lot of doors with it. Love the stuff.

Yea, the reason I mention Torified is that it removed the moisture and chemically changes the wood so it doesn't absorb it. Moisture in the wood would likely be an issue in space because the moisture will want to leave the wood (quickly) and that could affect it structurally. Stability is an important thing in such an extreme environment. Temp swings might also be an interesting thing around this...they are indeed very extreme between in sunlight and in no sunlight.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very interesting. Needs dovetails.

What goes around, comes around!

Maybe this will make the finishing manufacturers make a real good UV resistant finish!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    Maybe this will make the finishing manufacturers make a real good UV resistant finish!
    Just paint it. Nobody will be looking at it.

And in the news this morning:

"What is made from the same wood as a Christmas tree, held together by glue and manufactured in a Swedish factory for assembly later?
    If that calls to mind flat-pack furniture and meatballs, you're wrong.
    If you answered "a wooden wind turbine", you could be a visionary.
    According to Modvion, the Swedish start-up that has just built the world's tallest wooden turbine tower, using wood for wind power is the future."

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-67718719

Whether satellite or wind turbine, I'm skeptical but it's still very interesting.

Blog Entries
    All I’m saying is I could have built that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    And in the news this morning:

"What is made from the same wood as a Christmas tree, held together by glue and manufactured in a Swedish factory for assembly later?
    If that calls to mind flat-pack furniture and meatballs, you're wrong.
    If you answered "a wooden wind turbine", you could be a visionary.
    According to Modvion, the Swedish start-up that has just built the world's tallest wooden turbine tower, using wood for wind power is the future."

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-67718719

Whether satellite or wind turbine, I'm skeptical but it's still very interesting.

Only “warning label” will be “ Made In Japan”
    For the finish use one of their bottled soy sauce’s