Thread: Baker Furniture

Blog Entries

Baker Furniture

An elderly couple whom I work for told us an interesting story as we sat around their Baker Dining room table while having Champagne Christmas Day. When the table was passed to them in 1970 it showed up without the brass toe caps. The movers were suspected of steeling or losing the caps. The new owners contacted Baker to see about getting replacements. Serial number and photographs were exchanged and the couple was informed that their table had been made in 1943 and never had toe caps, due to the war effort. Brand new solid brass toe caps were sent out free of charge. They fit perfectly. One of my tasks for these folks was to touch up the table. The table had been inherited from a Great Aunt. She had three boys, Nick, Mark, and Chip. I am sad to see that Baker is now owned by a Chinese firm. Our state has another Bill pending intended to limit foreign land ownership. The old Baker factory would have been a fun place to visit. I wonder what it is like now.

Baker Furniture, Inc. | Furniture City History
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-27-2023 at 7:52 AM. Reason: who whom
    Best Regards, Maurice

Way back when--Baker was the supplier for Magnavox. They made TV cabinets but were most famous, as far as Magnavox was concerned, for their beautiful console stereo cabinets. They were in a class by themselves and were considered furniture. And Baker was known for exquisite wood furniture--particularly executive desks.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

According to their history Baker was actually owned by Magnavox for some time. Probably strategic when they were supplying all those consoles for TV's and stereos.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Blog Entries
    What a productive and diverse company. I looked the 1943 table over again. It is impressive and opens to accommodate 3 leaves. Beautiful carving too. The owners are sad they did not get the chairs. I have had opportunities to get those console stereos. I see interesting re-purposing of them on the web. Converting them into a bar is popular.
    Best Regards, Maurice

My first job out of college in the 70's was for a company that built industrial finishing equipment including the overhead conveyor systems, George Koch sons, Inc. All of it was custom for the job. One of their early patents (1950?'s) was on a DeBurgh Conveyor system used primarily in the furniture building industry (when we had one).
    Brian

reminds me of Gibbard and B&G. Big old factories with a number of floors, usually wooden floors, wood beams all over and roller conveyors to move stuff around sometimes even one floor to another. I can almost smell those places sitting here now and not been in them for many years. Weve lost so many over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    reminds me of Gibbard and B&G. Big old factories with a number of floors, usually wooden floors, wood beams all over and roller conveyors to move stuff around sometimes even one floor to another. I can almost smell those places sitting here now and not been in them for many years. Weve lost so many over the years.
    My grandfather was some sort of supervisor at a La Fencrich cigar factory in Evansville, IN owned by the Hulman family who owned the Indy 500 track. He hired ran production etc. He would work 1/2 day Saturdays and would take me to work with him. I can remember the smell of the curing tabacco leaves in the steam rooms. Sweet smelling. They had their own team baseball team. Grandpa fendrick.jpg Brian
    Brian

Western Michigan was a Mecca for furniture makers. There was lots of wood to be had, and water power to run the mills. When I was in College in Kalamazoo, you could find all sorts of quality pieces in the local second hand furniture outlets. We furnished our first apartment with antiques because it was more affordable. Baker, Stickley, Sleigh, Quaint, and Limbert were plentiful and easy to afford. I recall buying some pieces in about 1982 and the shop having multiple Stickley library tables for $100 a copy.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Western Michigan was a Mecca for furniture makers. There was lots of wood to be had, and water power to run the mills. When I was in College in Kalamazoo, you could find all sorts of quality pieces in the local second hand furniture outlets. We furnished our first apartment with antiques because it was more affordable. Baker, Stickley, Sleigh, Quaint, and Limbert were plentiful and easy to afford. I recall buying some pieces in about 1982 and the shop having multiple Stickley library tables for $100 a copy.
    that's cool. brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    omg... you were fortunate.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”