Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Tools

Pat, In my opinion you need two tracks, a shorter one for croscutting 4' sheets and doors, etc. and a longer one for the long direction on plywood, 100" + is great.
    Last edited by Dan Barber; 12-26-2023 at 4:11 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    Pat, In my opinion you need two tracks, a shorter one for croscuttin 4' sheets and doors, etc. and a longer one for the long direction on plywood, 100" + is great.
    I'll take that further...it's also nice to have a "really short one" for shop utility, such as for use with mundane things like trimming a cabinet that's already assembled or cross cutting narrower stock without a big honkin' track sticking out and into your, um...well...you know
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good add on Jim, I have the one from my FMT table ~42", then 55" and 106". I have many time compilated the even shorter FSK track with angle stops for just what you mention. It's kind of a "take it to the work" miter saw.
    Last edited by Dan Barber; 12-26-2023 at 6:56 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

I'd like to have a shorter track than the 42" for certain things. I've considered buying a 55" and cutting it into two sections, a 24" and a 31", but I'm not sure how well that would work. If I can cut the edges clean and do some cleanup, it should be fine.

I got two really nice mortise chisels in 3/8" and 1/4".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robert Hayward; 12-26-2023 at 9:58 PM.

Santa ordered me some #66 Beading cutters from LN to fit the vintage tool I found last month. He forgot to load them on his sleigh for Christmas so he mailed them instead. They should be here Saturday.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Congratulations to all you with spiffy presents. I did not get any tools and it is kind of sad or happy. I actually have all the tools I want...???? This last year I bought myself a laser to play with and I made Christmas ornaments and presents with it.

Veritas Plunge base and Accessories to use with my Foredom

Plunge base for Rotory.jpg
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I bought a secondhand WorkSharp here on SMC a year or so ago and it has been great. My chisel bevels are much more consistent and nice than they were when I sharpened by hand. I hope you'll enjoy yours.

Blog Entries
    Not woodworking related, but one son got me a Christmas set of four Knipex tools, the other got me a requested Klein 14 in 1 adjustable length screwdriver. Might be able to use them to help install the 2" lift kit my wife got me for our 2020 Cherokee.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    I'd like to have a shorter track than the 42" for certain things. I've considered buying a 55" and cutting it into two sections, a 24" and a 31", but I'm not sure how well that would work. If I can cut the edges clean and do some cleanup, it should be fine.
    Fine tooth carbide blade in your miter or table saw will work fine. Clean up with a fine tooth file.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Pat, you can use Festool and Makita tracks with the Milwaukee saw, but there is a "locking to the rail" feature that requires the Milwaukee version. Try ToolNut if that's important to you; otherwise, brand shop for track(s) in the length(s) you want.
    Makita, Wen and Milwaukee tracks all support the anti tip feature and it can be utilized interchangeably among those three.

In this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTghHvL7Wko

The author compares the anti tip feature of both the Milwaukee and the Makita - on a Wen track.

BTW - nice score on the portable drill guide. Thy come in super handy for things that otherwise leave you trying to figure out how you're going to do them.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I bought a secondhand WorkSharp here on SMC a year or so ago and it has been great. My chisel bevels are much more consistent and nice than they were when I sharpened by hand. I hope you'll enjoy yours.
    Yea, on the two chisels I did yesterday just to see what was what, they were way off and not perpendicular to the centerline of the tool; one was the factory bevel and one was just "aged". The plane iron was also not quite what it should have been. I'm likely going to spend some more time today doing some more...it's a rainy day and I'm tired of sitting around due to this wrist thing. The scale supports me on that idea, too...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post

BTW - nice score on the portable drill guide. Thy come in super handy for things that otherwise leave you trying to figure out how you're going to do them.
    Yea, it's not a tool I "needed" but I figured it's a good tool to have for "those times" when a hole needs to be done precisely in a spot that can't be supported by the DP or is in an existing thing or needs to be at a particular angle with reasonable accuracy. (think maybe in a chair seat) What I really appreciate about the Rockler version is that it's Centrotec compatible, given all my drill/drivers are Festool. So I put in on my "Santa list" and for some reason, Professor Dr. SWMBO bought it. She actually said she wants me in the shop more this year since this year has been a lot of distraction with both her medical needs and those of our older daughter.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-27-2023 at 9:45 AM.
    --