Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oliver Benchtop Planer - Recommendations?

Oliver Benchtop Planer - Recommendations?

I’ve been looking to purchase a DW735 w/ a Shelix head (that I would install) but started to see a couple references to the Oliver benchtop planer (10044) that comes with the Shelix already installed. While I’ve seen minor references on Sawmill, I haven’t seen any dedicated reviews or recommendations or warnings. Anyone have first-hand experience with thoughts to share? (I have no affiliation with either company - just want this to be the last planer I buy.) Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom…….

I have only seen commentary on the heavier current generation Oliver machines...'didn't even know they had a benchtop. The bigger gear seems to be "worthy" so hopefully that benchtop is similar, especially wih a helical type upgrade like that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would buy a planer that has a insert head already installed.
    I would hope the manufacturer or designers account for the Xtra power needed to take a decent cut.
    Good luck

For me, it's a personal preference to not do business with a company that buys the name of an age old USA manufacturer of woodworking machinery, and use that long history connection to market cheap import machinery. That Oliver building in Grand Rapids that they use to describe their business history on the web site, that has burnt to the ground, has absolutely nothing to do with the machinery they have sold since 2000.

Yeah using the Oliver name always seemed a bit bait-and-switchy to me.

The DW735 seems to be the standard for bench top planers. The Oliver model looks similar to the DW734 and other bench top planer models. At $1k + tax, that’s getting real close to a decent used 15” planer.

All of my large stationary tools are used. If you have (or wire up) 240v, it opens up many options in the used market. Most WW hobbyists hardly use their tools.

I bought one about a month ago and, other than testing it on a board and to setup the digital gauge, I really haven't used to plane a lot of boards. However, the test I did showed me great results and, as long as the infeed and outfeed tables are set correctly (which they were from the factory) there is no snipe I can detect. Great dust collection and a great finish on the wood. I owned a Dewalt 735 for 10+ years and loved it. I even was able to find a jig to hone the Dewalt knives once time giving me longer knife life. I would never say anything bad about the Dewalt, but I do believe that, for the money, the Oliver benchtop is a good choice. It is the only benchtop I've found with a true Byrd head installed. All the other bench tops have their own staggered knife heads; some with somewhat of a spiral and some which don't seem to be real spiral placement of the knives.

I’ve read a few good reviews and the dust extraction setup makes a lot more sense. I broke the attachment once on my 735 before I sold it. If I were in the market for a benchtop, this would be at the top of my list.

I've always felt that when buying new, buy a machine that has what you want 'out of the box' rather than buying then replace parts on a new machine. Grizzly's Oliver brand is supposed to be an upscale line but I have no experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    I bought one about a month ago and, other than testing it on a board and to setup the digital gauge, I really haven't used to plane a lot of boards. However, the test I did showed me great results and, as long as the infeed and outfeed tables are set correctly (which they were from the factory) there is no snipe I can detect. Great dust collection and a great finish on the wood. I owned a Dewalt 735 for 10+ years and loved it. I even was able to find a jig to hone the Dewalt knives once time giving me longer knife life. I would never say anything bad about the Dewalt, but I do believe that, for the money, the Oliver benchtop is a good choice. It is the only benchtop I've found with a true Byrd head installed. All the other bench tops have their own staggered knife heads; some with somewhat of a spiral and some which don't seem to be real spiral placement of the knives.
    How does the sound level of the Oliver when cutting wood compareto the DeWalt?

I used to own one of Oliver's blue 8 inch jointer when inserts when they first cane out. Made by geetech. The fence that was shipped with the machine was warped and twisted.
    They sent another that was better or as geetech put within specs.
    The table flatness was also " within specs". +/_ .007
    I sold it after two sets of inserts that cost nearly 300$. I paid just under 2k and sold it for 500$

Too me they aren't a serious woodworking machinery company anymore.
    They came out with this silly jointer planer contraption. Over complicated mess.
    https://youtu.be/-tmtlZhthsI?si=rEcn88xTeOLueWPe

I have seen a few review videos on YouTube for the benchtop Oliver planer and they were all very positive. Worth a look if you're considering adding one to your shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I used to own one of Oliver's blue 8 inch jointer when inserts when they first cane out. Made by geetech. The fence that was shipped with the machine was warped and twisted.
    They sent another that was better or as geetech put within specs.
    The table flatness was also " within specs". +/_ .007
    I sold it after two sets of inserts that cost nearly 300$. I paid just under 2k and sold it for 500$

Too me they aren't a serious woodworking machinery company anymore.
    They came out with this silly jointer planer contraption. Over complicated mess.
    https://youtu.be/-tmtlZhthsI?si=rEcn88xTeOLueWPe
    I wonder how one would edge joint boards with that machine...

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    I wonder how one would edge joint boards with that machine...
    Good point I hadn't thought of that 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    Thanks Randy for posting this. I am also considering the Oliver over the DeWalt and would appreciate hearing from others who actually own and use this machine.
    After the revolution, who's going to pick up the garbage on Monday morning?
    --Mierle Laderman Ukeles--

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I've always felt that when buying new, buy a machine that has what you want 'out of the box' rather than buying then replace parts on a new machine. Grizzly's Oliver brand is supposed to be an upscale line but I have no experience.
    You sure Grizzly owns Oliver? I thought it was South Bend or something like that. That's the kind of confusion they get for buying up old American machinery names.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 12-26-2023 at 7:03 PM.