Thread: Permanent glue or tape for fabric?

Permanent glue or tape for fabric?

Is there a permanent glue or tape (or iron-on tape etc.) that can be used on fabric and will withstand washing?

I have several pet beds from Walmart where the fabric on the bottom has deteriorated. I need to replace that fabric with a new material. It's tedious to sew it on by hand. ( The stuffed pet bed won't fit in a sewing machine. )

According to my wife, there is fabric glue but she was not sure about the washing part. There are also iron on hem tape that comes in different thicknesses. Because it is used on hems, it must be washable. She suggests going to a fabric store.

Iron on hem tape is not necessarily for the "permanent" fix. It gets things to where they need to be and is also helpful for things that might need to be altered frequently. For permanency, the seam will likely get sewn after the hem is created and ironed out. The tape keeps things really neat so the sewing machine can do neat and straight seaming. At least that's what my seamstress friend tells me...

------

Stephen, if the cover can be removed, get it off the inner pillow, turn it inside out and then sew on the new bottom with the machine around the edges. But yea, the material on many of the pet beds is surprisingly prone to ripping, particularly by little beasts that like to chew.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Take super glue....put a drop about every 1/2 to 1 inch and put it together.... will hold long time.. and is washable....
    Tried fabric glue, iron on tape, etc.... super glue works ...

Sew by hand is tedious, but it will get the job done.

Never seen a pet bed that did not have a removable cover, but perhaps that is a Walmart exclusive.
    Regards,

Tom

Blog Entries
    Shoe Goo. It is ugly. Our kids use a popsicle stick to force the thick goo into the fabric for repairing holes in canvas skate shoes. I patch my jeans with iron on patches then seal the edges with Shoe Goo. It is ugly. The repair will last several washings.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Yes. There are several washable permanent glues. It's been more than 15 years since I needed to use them, but I know I had good success with both Fabri-Tac and Aleene's Super Fabric Adhesive. I remember Aleene's worked better for my needs.) For the last 10 years or more, the only fabric gluing I have needed to do was patch up work denim. My LOML and I will buy 5-10 pair of denim jeans from Costco and have spares for when the older ones become too worn out. I cut the leg and use that for patching up the following pairs. For that, I use a tube of E6000 and make sure I glue right up to the edges of the cut denim and then set a book or something else of weight on it while it's drying. As long as I put the glue around all the edges and spread some out across the center, the E6000 holds up in all future hot or cold washer and dryer cycles. It does not alter the fabric.

I pulled out some old bottles of fabric glue that I bought at a local Walmart more than 10 years ago. Make sure to read the labels. I see Crafter's Pick says glue must cure 7-10 days and hand wash gently and air dry. Beacon Liqui-Fuse can be washed or dry cleaned but you need to apply with an iron. Aleene's OK-To-Wash-It needs to cure for 7-10 days and wash on gentle cycle and air dry. I never even opened Crafter's Pick Fabric Glue. I probably bought them when I was looking to patch up the denim and ended up using E6000 instead.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Schneiders has a blanket tape, for horse blankets that lasts awhile, but I have found nothing that is washable over the long term, other than sewing it. ( I now have an Adler 167 to do the permanent repair..)
    Schnieder's tape last a season, or two. You may get more out of a dog bed, than a horse blanket.

https://www.sstack.com/schneiders-ho.../?variant=true
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I glued some sweat pant leg cuffs with Aleens(sp?)"OK to wash-it". I've only washed them a couple times so far so can't comment about durability.

The iron-on denim patches that many of us wore on our knees back in the 50's, before torn jeans were a thing, lasted through many wash cycles. A quick google search suggests they are readily available.

Blog Entries
    I hate the torn jeans look but sport it often. Walmart has iron on patches. They are not big enough for my needs and do not stick well. I wish I could find ones like Mom used to use. I hated them back in the day. They were like tempered masonite and never came off.

IMG_1797.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-27-2023 at 8:22 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice