Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight Hex Key wrenches disappearing?

Straight Hex Key wrenches disappearing?

I'm having trouble finding quality L style hex wrench sets, metric and std, that don't have a ball on the long end. My old set is Tekton straight both ends in an awesome convenioent folding case. The ball ends are supposed to work up to a 25 degree angle, which I don't need to service my shop tools. I've read that the ball end can strip the screw. This smells like a whole industry shift to a single style. I'd be interested in comments from folks using the ball end wrenches and whether they've had issues with stripping, and in particular how they work on the smallest sizes.

Thanks
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Bondhus: https://bondhus.com/hex-end2

I agree with you that the ball-end is less useful and I wish it weren't as common. Bondhus also makes a T-style set, but only in ball-end, although in that case, the smaller ones are straight.

Why would that matter? The ball end is on the long portion of the hex wrench. Unless you use another tool to impart too much torque to that ball end there is zero chance you can strip a screw socket using your hands. Use the long end to run in the screw and then switch to the short end to torque the screw to tightness. Use your best judgement here.
    Last edited by Dan Barber; 12-21-2023 at 5:53 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Pretty easy to cut the ball off in my shop.

The ball end can become very useful ,if you do not have a straight shot at the head of the capscrew.
    I have never stripped a screw head out with the ball end of an Allen driver, but for the application I use a ball end, it is on a 1/4" drive wrench, not an "L" style.
    If you can get a straight on shot, use a regular Allen wrench. They're available, but you have to want to find them these days.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The tee handled sets I have from HFT have a ball on the long end and a straight hex on the short end if I'm not mistaken
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I routinely use the ball ends. Just for running a bolt until it's snug. The flat end is what I use to apply torque. Wera or Bondus for L wrenches, and Beta for T handles are my favorites.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

$10.00 at Home Depot's around here and no shortage of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carried a set of Bondhus ball end in my pocket for 25 years at my last job. Never stripped a quality socket head with the ball end. I've seen more stripped from rounded corners on the short leg than anything.

Just make sure you don't break the ball off in the bolt socket. They're almost impossible to dig out. DAMHIK. Remember tight is tight and broke is broke.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

If you are talking about T handle wrenches, Klein makes them in both ball end on the long end or straight on the long end.

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/t...stand-10-piece

A few minutes on the grinder will fix that. It will also fix rounded off corners on a straight end wrench. Do not burn the temper, quench often.
    Bill D

Yep HD has plenty and online ordering from them is as painless as Amazon. Quick and free shipping on most items w/o a membership fee.
    Try it I think you will like it.
    Robert

Blog Entries
    I have a problem with them accumulating in large numbers. Particularly the soft ones that come with faucets, grab bars, exercise equipment, and Ikea items.

IMG_1784.jpg

Some of these come from putting exercise equipment together. The equipments main contribution to a human getting exercise is the effort of distant workers who made the stuff, me putting the equipment together, then taking it apart later. I use these for filler material on welds that are not critical.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-23-2023 at 8:25 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

What is the ball for? I've seen those and mistakenly bought some, and found them annoying, but can be used. I tend to go with T Handle from Elkland which don't have a ball end, which gives me more torque and it is easier to find the right size as they fit into a pre-sized hole.
    Regards,

Tom