Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trying CS method on my table top

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    Hey Toni. The walnut top I'm working on is smaller than yours but doing basically the same process. Not sure if it was mentioned before but I never leave something this size laying flat on the bench overnight as I've had a couple twist, particularly as I get closer to both sides being flat. This batch of wood is what I call Urban Lumber since it came from my neighbors front yard next to the street and even after slow drying for ~2 years it would move after initial machining.

BrianAttachment 512638
    So far, so good. Unfortunately I can’t move it without help so it will have to stay put for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I've never bought anything to use for them, and don't even bother to keep any. If I don't have something laying around that will work, I just make some out of scrap. These in the video were just leftover scraps of roof purlins for Cypress shingles on that job. They were already straight, but if they weren't there is a jointer and tablesaw right there. I was working in the temporary shop setup in the daylight basement of that museum house. My little bench was clamped to the tablesaw for mass.
    That’s pretty much what I had in mind. I’m sure I have st least two 4’ scraps in the shop somewhere.

I’m continuing to work as I had intended. One thing I don’t get with y’all’s objection… I am sensing a lot of feedback through the #7 as I go 45*. I can feel the high spots very well and I’m far from taking down the low spots. I can see the method y’all suggest on a board this long going along the length though. After all I learned with trying to flatten the edge I was seriously considering that 36” plane Scott Meeks sells :rolls eyes:
    IMG_5076.jpg

https://youtube.com/shorts/UpfT5PeCe...-dJoAF_1Rg9WlZ

Cleared off to gauge progress…
    IMG_0894.jpg

Impressive Tony...I nominate you for King of the Neanderthals 2023! Keep us posted...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Impressive Tony...I nominate you for King of the Neanderthals 2023! Keep us posted...
    Perhaps knave or most definitely joker.

BTW, I have some birch long enough to make a long winding stick set — mostly straight grain. Found my level and it’s 2’.

Had a realization when I was watching a Bob Rosaieski on planing. My plan was always to stop before installing the breadboards to bring the top and putt it in the space it will live. I was going to do this to see what length we will want to live with and make sure that any remaining movement moves. I hadn’t looked for twist yet but if I do shorten it (which is likely) then I’ll cut some of the twist out.

Good video Tony. At a certain point when the top is reasonably level, you should scribe a line around the edges and ends for thickness ( using a marking gauge referencing the top ). Then have 2 hyperkinetic 14 year olds help you out with the planing. Keep us updated.

Still working on scrubbing done uneven edges.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/FuKxc4POJ...mthCq4GEIGQ2cU
    Last edited by Tony Wilkins; 01-04-2024 at 2:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    I could do that. Would that be better than riving out some straight gain stock and making a pair?
    The actual experience of making your own will alway surpass the knowledge gained by buying a simple to make tool.

Winding Stick / Straight Edges > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?290331

Even though this was my second and third pair, it still presented a few lessons to learn.

If you do have some scrap stock, rip it and be done. It will take less time than driving to the store and cost less.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The actual experience of making your own will alway surpass the knowledge gained by buying a simple to make tool.

Winding Stick / Straight Edges > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?290331

Even though this was my second and third pair, it still presented a few lessons to learn.

If you do have some scrap stock, rip it and be done. It will take less time than driving to the store and cost less.

jtk
    CS, through open line, basically said if it looks straight leave it be. But I will probably make another set of them sometime.

Sharpening the blade I took to the grinder isn’t going well so I put the one I got from LN into the #4. Getting unevenness out of the bottom is work but I’m surprised at the flatness of the result. Took the longest straight edge to it n
    https://youtu.be/lat5Pp9kYGs?si=8qrBOMs7BVb4aR6V

I'm a little late for my suggestion of winding sticks but will give it anyway. Buying 4' levels for winding sticks is a bit of an expense IMO. I use a aluminum angle which is typically produced by extruding. This process produces relatively straight pieces. You can spray paint them two different contrasting colors or take the lazy way and put blue painters tape on one piece. You can sight down the pieces before you buy them and pick out the straightest pieces, you'd be surprised at how good a human eye can see a straight line.

I admire you taking this challenge on, it's a ton of work to plane such a large surface. Eat some carbs and keep at it!!!

Brought in and roughly in place…
    IMG_0896.jpg