Thread: Anyone using UV instant curing finishes?

Anyone using UV instant curing finishes?

I really like the idea of instantly curing a finish. It would significantly speed up projects and add the ability to quickly finish boards before gluing them (handy for insides of cabinets for example). The only one I can find is the one that Blacktail Studios uses ($200 for 1 liter). The UV curing light is about $650. Its an extravagant purchase, but I have limited time in my garage so I care more about speed than money.

Anyone else using this stuff? Anyone know of a cheaper source?

On his video is looks really cool, skip to 28:52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN3nUIdxWlc

I have used Solarez on a guitar product and it did cure nicely. But it's not at the level of what Cam is using...and that's a darn impressive finish. Yes, not inexpensive, but certainly an interesting solution that appears to be good quality. UV cure products have been used for awhile in industrial production settings for the obvious advantages.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Instant would be nice, but that's a lot of $'s for something that saves you a few hours of time. The WB finishes I use are a one-day turnaround from raw wood to fully finished, and cured well enough that I can move on to assembly. I guess it depends how much you value an elapsed day. For me, I'd need something more than the time savings. A bulletproof finish would make for a compelling proposition, as long as it's WB or VOC free.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Instant would be nice, but that's a lot of $'s for something that saves you a few hours of time. The WB finishes I use are a one-day turnaround from raw wood to fully finished, and cured well enough that I can move on to assembly. I guess it depends how much you value an elapsed day. For me, I'd need something more than the time savings. A bulletproof finish would make for a compelling proposition, as long as it's WB or VOC free.

John
    For me finishing is a pain, especially when it comes to tricky corners etc. Plus the ability to quickly thrown down a finish on a part just before glue up would be amazing. Think of something like a chest of drawers, finishing that many surfaces can take up the entire shop and take a week+ to do. Being in a 1 car garage with 1 workbench makes finishing take a long time. With a UV finish it could be done in a couple of hours and installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mayer View Post
    For me finishing is a pain, especially when it comes to tricky corners etc. Plus the ability to quickly thrown down a finish on a part just before glue up would be amazing. Think of something like a chest of drawers, finishing that many surfaces can take up the entire shop and take a week+ to do. Being in a 1 car garage with 1 workbench makes finishing take a long time. With a UV finish it could be done in a couple of hours and installed.
    Have you tried Rubio Monocoat or Osmo Polyox? It takes overnight to cure, but application is about as stupid simple as it gets, and they are very durable. You can't be old-school or you wouldn't be talking about a UV cure finish, but have you considered shellac? A couple of padded on coats and you're on your way in an hour or two.

John