Thread: Extended warranty -

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just wanted to remind that most factory extended warranties can be bought anytime during the life of the original factory warrantee. You do not have to get them at time of purchase.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Any extended warrantee or insurance program is a crap shoot. In 1986, my employer of 10 years was sold to GE. GE flew all service engineers in the NW to Seatle, where they wined, dined and pitched their employment and made us sign paperwork. One of the decisions I had to make was for an $8/per month long term disability insurance. I decided to buy it. I'd bet that less than 1% of all people who buy it end up qualifying and getting to use it. Then in July of 2010, I awoke deaf. I had paid $8/ month approaching for 24 years. Let's round up to $100/ year x 24. Total inflated expenditure $2400. It's a crap shoot! I got it back in the first month after the company's short term disability insurance ran out. You have to weigh the pluses and minuses and determine what is right for you! There is no right or wrong. What is right for you? How much risk are you willing to incur? Can you survive the expenditures if you choose wrong?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....