Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What did I put a nail into??

Vent pipes are largely there to prevent vacuums from happening within the sewage system. As such, there might not be that much moisture in that air, and given it was on an inside (and presumably heated) rooms, might not have been really cold, so there very well could be no condensation on the inside of it.

But why would moisture matter to a density device?

Blog Entries
    I did an epoxy repair on a 3 x 1 1/2 tee in a 3 inch vent stack last month. I had a heck of a time with a persistent trickle of condensation running out of the failed joint. I finally had to warm the pipe above the tee up to 220 degrees with the heat gun, then quickly pack in and wrap around the joint with plastic repair epoxy, 2 part stick putty. I removed several sections of drywall before I found the source of the leak. I want a bore-scope camera to simplify this kind of trouble shooting next time.

Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 6.15.57 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-21-2023 at 7:37 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Unless it's a very large piece of art, there's no need for a hanger to penetrate beyond the drywall and you always have the option if there's a wire behind the art to use two hangers; one on either side of an obstruction like a pipe. So git er hung!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    But why would moisture matter to a density device?
    No idea but apparently stud detectors will find PVC pipe if water is running through them. Of course, there is a lot more dense material in a pipe with some water than an air-only one.

Blog Entries
    I was surprised to learn that professional art handlers rely on the drywall alone for hanging fairly heavy things. The weight capacity being determined by the number of little pins in the hanger or hangers. Or the size of the Super Hook.

Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 9.02.37 AM.png Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 9.03.09 AM.png Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 9.08.32 AM.png
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-21-2023 at 10:12 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I did an epoxy repair on a 3 x 1 1/2 tee in a 3 inch vent stack last month. I had a heck of a time with a persistent trickle of condensation running out of the failed joint. I finally had to warm the pipe above the tee up to 220 degrees with the heat gun, then quickly pack in and wrap around the joint with plastic repair epoxy, 2 part stick putty. I removed several sections of drywall before I found the source of the leak. I want a bore-scope camera to simplify this kind of trouble shooting next time.

Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 6.15.57 AM.jpg
    I bought a Klein bore scope camera at the big orange store and it works well. More money than what you posted but I figure it's more likely to be a decent product.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I was surprised to learn that professional art handlers rely on the drywall alone for hanging fairly heavy things. The weight capacity being determined by the number of little pins in the hanger or hangers. Or the size of the Super Hook.

Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 9.02.37 AM.png Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 9.03.09 AM.png Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 9.08.32 AM.png
    Yup...and in many cases, no hammer is required, too. These are the things I use for hanging in my own home, sized appropriate to the load. Drywall is stronger than one might imagine, particularly with these small fasteners that penetrate cleanly and allow the gypsum to not be crumbled. But even a carefully installed nail is effective in the same way.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Regarding the borescopes for occasional use, if you don't want to install an inexpensive one's app on your phone, or purchase a pricy scope, Autozone's loaner tool program has them, $170 deposit if i recall correctly. I preferred it to a friends inexpensive one for phones.
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 12-21-2023 at 5:31 PM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Blog Entries
    Our Son thoroughly enjoyed schooling me on proper picture hanging. He also enjoyed his art handling gig. Exchanging my tool belt for white gloves is an idea I continue to ponder.

Checking a scope out from Auto Zone is a good idea. Harbor freight has an affordable one too.

I should also backpedal about probing the wall with a hat pin if contact with electrical has not been ruled out.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-21-2023 at 8:02 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice