Thread: K3 delivery and placement

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

K3 delivery and placement

Steve Wurster kindly posted photos of his workshop showing how he fit the K3 in a shop that had similar equipment to mine.

Based on that and some other posters' comments, I went with the K3, outrigger and 78" slider. I have the Felder technician coming December 26 to calibrate, so I need to make sure it is in its final home.

I figured I would post some photos to help others considering a slider think about space and delivery requirements and invite any comments on placement.

The delivery went smoothly, except the carrier put the Hammer pallet, which was in good shape, on top of a smaller pallet, requiring a ramp with an 8" drop instead of 4".
    crate on crate.jpg

After over-thinking how to get it off the pallets, I installed the Hammer mobility kit and then raised one end of the Hammer pallet and got it to slide so that it was angled toward the floor on one end and then laid down two 2' x 8' sheets of 3/4" baltic birch plywood (rip cut it to fit into my SUV) and stacked some 2x4s from the Hammer crate (and some other random pieces) to support the ramp at about 18" spans. No screws into the supports. I had about 100 screws from the Hammer pallet and used 4 of them to screw the end of the plywood to the 2x4s under the end of the pallet. There were a couple of 3/4" steps from the pallet to the floor, but no problem with the mobility kit.
    Top of pallet.jpg

Much easier than it looked. it took about a minute to get the machine on the garage floor.

Bottom of ramp.jpg

The garage is about 20' wide. I moved pretty much everything out of the way to see where it should go. I moved the Roubo into the dog room, moved the chop saw out of the house, along with the drum sander, and moved the Festool MFT out of the way. Then tried every configuration I could think of to get the hoses of the remaining machines close to the G700 dust collector outlet. I would not have thought to angle the machine, but a post from Jim B made this look like a good option. Here is what I came up with for one side of the garage. I thought about using the router table as an outfeed, but it was too tall and seemed like a pain to remove the fence and dust collection hose to use the saw table.

From kitchen door.jpg

The space between the K3 and the band saw looks a little tight, but it is actually roomy, and with the different surface heights, I don't think it is a problem. The other side still has the Festool MFT and a couple of Festool cabinets that I think I am going to break down and make shorter and move underneath the right side of the K3. Not the prettiest arrangement, but workable.

Festool view.jpg

Still trying to figure out how to configure the vacuum to the 50mm port above the table, but probably going to do some kind of run of the smaller hose from the wall or the slat wall with a support arm.

Wide view.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions on placement? Having the thing positioned at an angle lets me keep most of the other machines against the perimeter and close to the dust collector, with a clear area for a temporary assembly table and room to put large plywood pieces on the outrigger. But I haven't used it yet.

There have been a number of comments on whether to get the shorter slider. For me, I mostly build smaller furniture. But it fits, and I think it is going to be useful, as I do intend to use sheet goods.
    Last edited by Todd Zucker; 12-20-2023 at 7:45 AM.