Thread: Banding accent

Banding accent

I have been experimenting with edge banding that I had left over from instrument projects. I like the look but want to work on the shape of the turning. The larger one (6 inches) is three pieces with a joint behind the banding. That made for very easy hollowing. I rough turned it with the pieces joined. Then I separated them and hollowed each piece separately. Glued them together with what I think of as a rabbited joint and finish turned the outside. Last I cut a groove for the edging and glued in the accent band. Easily the smoothest interior of a hollow form I have ever done.

Banded.jpg

Very nice. Cool idea.

I think it's a very nice compliment to your turning.

Paul, I concur with Larry and Tim. Very nice! Who was the banding supplier? Did you have to do anything special to it to bend it around your forms? Do you use regular wood glue? And do you think there’s a minimum radius around which it can be put? I have ideas swirling around in my head!

Thanks
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

I also would be interested in the answers to Walter's questions, especially minimum radius.
    Thanks

The accent strip I use is made by Sauer & Company and sold locally by both Rockler and Woodcraft. About 40% cheaper at Rockler, but I think that was a sale deal. Sold in 3-foot lengths and two in a package for $15 to $30. On these forms I used steam bending, and I think it would have easily gone around a 3-inch diameter. However, on the larger form the black dye ran a little. It mostly sanded out, but not 100%. The next one I bent with hot air and had no trouble with a 5-inch circle. However, it did not stay flexible for very long. I ended up bending it into a circle about the size I needed, clipping the ends together, and letting it cool. There was a lot of spring back, but easily bent back to the form. I used original Titebond glue.

I think I got all your questions. It was fun and easy to do. I originally bought the first strip for edge banding on a small guitar. That is the only other experience I have had with the product. Remember to plan an almost flat area on your form for the band although you can put a little curve in the area by sanding the band after it is in place.

Thank Paul! I think you covered it well.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Segmented ring insert.

Rather than use banding, I make full thickness segmented rings. Here are a few examples for shape.

04062016 #9.jpg144.jpg053.jpgDSC01356.jpg

Looks good Mike. I have a few more pieces of left over banding and then I am going to try the wave bowl insert.