Thread: Arm r seal feels tacky/gummy to the touch

Arm r seal feels tacky/gummy to the touch

I just finished putting a few coats of gloss arm r seal on a table top. Dried for 36 hours. Tried a few different approaches including steel wool, paper bag, super fine 3m pad. Feels gummy/tacky to the touch.

Does it need to cure some more? Maybe a final topcoat and let it sit undisturbed?

I was just reading that it probably needs the additional cure time before rubbing to lose the tackiness.

How long between coats? Did they get an overnight cure?

To rub out an oil-based finished, 3 - 4 weeks to reach full cure for final coat is what I've always read/used.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Temperature has a lot to do with how long varnishes take to dry, much less cure. If it's not at least 65 F in your shop, it's going to take a really long time, and even 65 F is going to take longer than at 70 F. At 70 F a wiped on coat should dry in 8 - 12 hours. The first coat may take a lot longer, however, because of how much got sucked into the wood, no hard and fast rule since each wood is different. You don't need to wait for each coat to dry completely before adding the next. If you can lightly put your finger on it w/o sticking then it's dry enough to add another coat. The bond between layers will be better, too, but it will take longer to cure after the last coat. In any case, you normally can rub out ARS after 10 - 12 days, although longer definitely is better.

Airflow over the varnished surface helps with drying/curing, too. Gently moving air speeds evaporation of the solvents and provides oxygen for curing.

John

Was the ARS fresh? I had some older ARS take a lot longer to cure than usual. If not, I would suspect low temperature as John suggests or not enough dry time between coats as Kent suggests.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 12-19-2023 at 4:16 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

It's a fresh can. Waited overnight between coats, or until it wasn't sticky. I did lightly sand between each using 320/grey scotch brite pad. Tried several slightly different techniques with applicator pads/rags; varying results. Struggled with uneveness, scratches, hairs, dust nibs, etc. Feel like I should've just sprayed the thing.

It's a gift, was hoping to deliver in the next week. Will put on more light coat on, bring inside, and wait 10-14 days as suggested.