Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Do I need a RAS in my shop?

Blog Entries
    Certainly miss Chris, he was a close friend and incredible craftsman. Safe to say he’s the one who most turned me onto German, English and Japanese machinery.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Certainly miss Chris, he was a close friend and incredible craftsman. Safe to say he’s the one who most turned me onto German, English and Japanese machinery.
    Some day when I grow up I would like to have a super surfacer ...
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    Some day when I grow up I would like to have a super surfacer ...
    One of the best things I did was add a super surfacer. Finding one was a PITA and costly, as was repairing it, but it's one of the best additions to the shop. I originally regretted that I was only able to find an older machine but now I'm quite glad, it's very heavy duty. Doesn't have auto return but it's very heavy and works very well.

I had a project this past year where we added visible beams and T&G ceiling material. We surfaced thousands of linear feet of material in one day, all perfectly clean without skips or tearout, 6-7" wide. I was knee deep in full width shavings and it took one knife change.

Did the same for the interior millwork, all of it got super surfaced, did hundreds of feet of material in a day, then direct to oil finish. Took less oil since the wood absorbs less and was mirror-like after one coat. Cost zero in terms of sandpaper.

That would have been weeks of work by hand or multiple days with a sanding machine and much much more expensive in terms of consumables. Sanding would have required sealing.

It amazes me that these are not only not popular, they aren't in almost anyones shop. I know maybe 4-5 people that own them, all into Japanese work.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 01-04-2024 at 5:16 PM.

One of the best things I did was add a super surfacer. Finding one was a PITA and costly, as was repairing it, but it's one of the best additions to the shop. I originally regretted that I was only able to find an older machine but now I'm quite glad, it's very heavy duty. Doesn't have auto return but it's very heavy and works very well.

I had a project this past year where we added visible beams and T&G ceiling material. We surfaced thousands of linear feet of material in one day, all perfectly clean without skips or tearout, 6-7" wide. I was knee deep in full width shavings and it took one knife change.

Did the same for the interior millwork, all of it got super surfaced, did hundreds of feet of material in a day, then direct to oil finish. Took less oil since the wood absorbs less and was mirror-like after one coat. Cost zero in terms of sandpaper.

That would have been weeks of work by hand or multiple days with a sanding machine and much much more expensive in terms of consumables. Sanding would have required sealing.

It amazes me that these are not only not popular, they aren't in almost anyones shop. I know maybe 4-5 people that own them, all into Japanese work.
    Wow! I'd never imagined using it for millwork, but the argument is sound! Thanks, now I want one even more!
    I really prefer a planed or scraped surface to a sanded one and the SS would really make it fast and easy, thank you for the details. Do you find it difficult to set up and tune? Can you sharpen the blades yourself or do you send them out?

A chap I know up here (used to frequent this site) Mark Hennebury has restored and sold some over the years including a dedicated sharpener. One of my favorite woodworking YouTubers (Ishtani woodwork) uses one but I've been trying to figure out why he does for some projects and why not for others....

Thanks Brian,

B

Blog Entries
    Mark is the man for super surfacers! They’re pretty easy to setup and tune. I changed the knife to a Kanefusa replaceable insert knife set, and so I just buy knives. They last a long time and produce an excellent finish. It adds a consumable to the machine but I’m happy with how they work.

Ive taken up to 10” wide shavings on this machine. It’s a sight to see a hand plane thin shaving that wide.

Considering your workshop setup, I'd say you already covering a wide range of woodworking applications. So the DeWalt RAS, while charming, may not offer significant additional benefits, especially given the limited space in your shop. About the machines on mobile bases, I agree that it would be handy for you to have a designated 'parking spot'. For me, what works is I group together the tools that I frequently use, and I place them close to my primary work area so I don't have to spend much time moving between stations.

by the way its a radio alarm saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    by the way its a radio alarm saw.

When I hit 60 I had to upgrade to a 16” 10HP diesel radio alarm saw to avoid sleeping through the alarm.

Regards, Rod

Mark is the man for super surfacers! They’re pretty easy to setup and tune. I changed the knife to a Kanefusa replaceable insert knife set, and so I just buy knives. They last a long time and produce an excellent finish. It adds a consumable to the machine but I’m happy with how they work.

Ive taken up to 10” wide shavings on this machine. It’s a sight to see a hand plane thin shaving that wide.
    Brian, could I bother you to take a picture of the insert style knife system you upgraded to? I'm really curious about it. Thank you,

Brent

Rod not so sure about the Diesel. What no Tesla motor?

Blog Entries
    Next time I take apart the knives I’ll take some photos. I look through my roll of photos and so far only have some of the group assembled.

There’s need and there’s want. Do you use it every day? Would you be in the lurch without it? If yes, then that’s need.

if it sits idle most of the time and the utility is satisfied by other tools, that’s a want.

I had a really nice compound miter saw once. I bought it to use on a trim job when we did some remodeling. I saved a ton of money versus hiring someone and had a sweet saw for my shop afterwards. Then it gathered dust for two years before I sold it. I always wound up using an old fashioned miter box.
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 01-13-2024 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Typo. Damned auto correct.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    I always want mine till I need it.. But I hate cutting dentil molding on th table saw