Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: file extension names

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    earl can you explain that to me. Is my thought on track that if I use a program to modify the computer so my folders open my thought and think its on track is I can hand this same folder on a disc to someone else then they will not be able to see all for the ame reason that is t hat their computer is limited size wise My guess is that it would depend on how/what the other person's set-up is

Im best to try and pull the folders apart and can even think of a few good reasons I have master template and can see a whole large adventure on it. Its better some of the info in folders is in the master folder I have to rename all tiny one number and hope I can work my way back its worked in the past in most cases I hate removing the info though but will figure it out and if brought out to the master I can put info back as there will nmot be muliple layers. That sounds reasonable to me--if i'm reading you correctly

Sounds like the cloud is a good thing, I dont trust it. Too old to trust things anymore.
    Warren--i think i'm in over my head, but added some thoughts blue italics above. Hopefully Bill or Curt will weigh back in.

I was hesitant on the cloud thing as well, but when my company made that move i became a bit more open for my own stuff. I'm using OneDrive and it really helped in being able to move files from my old iPhone to my new Android phone. Plus...i got 10 years worth of pictures off my phone!!

thanks im better not to mod the computer to do this. I can make wood stand on its head not computers and past even some computer guys are well out done by others ive choosen wisely to not be one of them. No I dont trust the cloud we need this stuff and some of it is rigged then subject to who knows what.
    Ive decided ill break down those folders and bring those folders into the main master what I have done almost occupies the whole screen major numbers and dates and. Its better really to bring them all within site and if I remove some folders that are not priorities here it opens up more space as well I dont want to have to scroll across the screen want to see it in one viewing all of it
    So sorry based on my original I have a problem can I solve this the answer is yes and likely five or more ways from programs to some internal in the computer. The logic thought what about others id always been told 10 is unlimited numbers id say that is wrong and it ahs the same setting as 7. You tube showed it can be done but I have to think ahead and simple logic says break them down yourself so not going in so many layers.

Do appreciate all the thoughts some of you know so much about computers and other topics as well. Huge wealth of knowledge here

I think that the NTFS file system itself doesn't have limit but they maintained the limit in Windows 10 and probably 11 although you can go into the registry and change the setting.
    My general rule is KISS and it is folly to change the standard default settings particularly if you are going to, in this case, use the files elsewhere. Elsewhere also means to use them in 3rd party applications that may be designed to handle file paths based on the standard, not some clever registry fiddle.
    IMO, you are better to fix the root problem of too long paths rather than trying to get around it.
    The cloud, I use OneDrive, is tremendous if you are accessing files from more than one computer at home and they are also available if you are not at home too. A good password should be used and OneDrive also has a "Vault" folder for more sensitive files that uses 2-factor authentication. I personally locally encrypt any sensitive files on my PC before uploading for extra security. Other cloud services likely have a feature similar to the Vault.

you are backing up what I said I had planned to make the change in some fashion way home it struck me what ive doesnt work on his computer. The logic when it arrived has the other dynamic of now burried stuff in folders will be in the whole big picture master folder and that has value as its dates and numbers as well, so in this case a problem tht was huge grief will end up better. i copied over a ton of folders or tried to to a memory stuff say a third and important ones wouid not copy over case of the extensions so cant say im happy this happened as I showed up lacking a bunch of info but with a bit of time it will be better than it wouild have been and im all in for improvements

The cloud stuff I dont need or want and my data is in an offline computer. Its a bit more inconvienent to transfer saved stuff on the stick but i put USB inputs under the front of the desk top in front of each computer. Its almost like im organized. have a good set up. One more computer will have to arrive to learn and do video editing but not in a rush then ill ask you guys. The Audacity will work fine for small audio stuff and snipping and cutting but id really like to learn video editing. The windows 10 has some amount ive just not learned it, I did on XP once past and was very impressed how easy it was with no experience in no time had some finished videos and changed file size to be able to send. One friend is a top auto detailer. So I took a clip of him polishing and added some Gino Vanelli music and typed on some info,. as he was polishing I typed on that pad used to be sheep. Then sent it to him and he got a laugh out of it. Was something to watch him polish, he is a human CNC machine. Big tough ex military guy and I told him on a car he is like a ballerina. Maybe not the best analogy for a guy that was a bouncer in a biker bar when he was young. lucky his sense of humour is as big as he is.