Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: file extension names

file extension names

Past ive got too adventurous in detailing file names then go into the folder and more detail and another. Its great as a preview before you open something. Most of the time im fine but copying over have gotten the file extension name too long., Someone here just told me I think 35 characters is maxiumum and im likely well past that on some each time you go in.

If some of the files wont open in Windows 7 cause file extension names are too long will they open in Windows 10 Or linux? Or would those longer names have to been typed up originally in windows 10. I thought someone told me windows 10 has no limit on the file names?

Is there a trick in 7 to open files if the extension name is too long. Have a few scans where its just showing a photo as well

The wizard of google seems to say you can do this on 10. There is a setting and you use WinRar or some other thing and there is a setting inside that stops file extension at 256 so you defeat that. i also saw a file named Longpath and downloaded that, it came in a zip and I dont get it its different than other programs ive downloaded. It appears that this stuff works for both 10 and 7. Past ive always been told you cant go past whatever it is. It also says besides opening up stuff you can also delete and re name.

So it appears if im understanding there could be two or three ways to do this in 7. One to defeat the limit in the computer section. Is this familiar to any of you computer wizards, I know there are at least several of you here.

And if the file extension thing works will it only work for all the future files or will it work for all that are there already, think its there already but comes to mind

thanks
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 12-18-2023 at 12:24 AM.

The total characters in the file name include the folder name, sub folder name, and any spaces. For example, if you have a folder named "woodworking projects" with a sub-folder named "bedroom projects" and add a pdf file named "chest of drawers", the filename is something like "C:/woodworking projects/bedroom projects/chest of drawers.pdf"--in the neighborhood of 70 characters. Using some abbreviations that still can sense to you, like substituting ww for woodworking, proj for projects, and so on, that file name might be more like "C:/wwproj/brproj/chest-drwrs.pdf" which gets closer to the Win 7 limit.

Changing (shortening) the folder names you are using may enable you to open some of your files now, and may help when you make the switch to Win 10 or 11. Being able to go to 256 character file names sounds like a huge increase, but using full words and multiple layers of folders of organizing--those characters add up in a hurry!! I'm in favor of layering the folders, helps me a lot, but using consistent abbreviations really helps shorten things up.
    earl

thanks ive tried shortening a number as you go in layer and layer and it stinks to loose the info. I have been told what you said by computer guys but based on the net its not accurate as I seem to see maybe three ways one changing a setting in the computer that allows unlimited don't have time right now to be looking but maybe tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    The total characters in the file name include the folder name, sub folder name, and any spaces. For example, if you have a folder named "woodworking projects" with a sub-folder named "bedroom projects" and add a pdf file named "chest of drawers", the filename is something like "C:/woodworking projects/bedroom projects/chest of drawers.pdf"--in the neighborhood of 70 characters. Using some abbreviations that still can sense to you, like substituting ww for woodworking, proj for projects, and so on, that file name might be more like "C:/wwproj/brproj/chest-drwrs.pdf" which gets closer to the Win 7 limit.

Changing (shortening) the folder names you are using may enable you to open some of your files now, and may help when you make the switch to Win 10 or 11. Being able to go to 256 character file names sounds like a huge increase, but using full words and multiple layers of folders of organizing--those characters add up in a hurry!! I'm in favor of layering the folders, helps me a lot, but using consistent abbreviations really helps shorten things up.
    earl
    I could be wrong here but I woiuld think the file name is strictly the name and extension.... such as.... diningtable.pdf. When you store it somewhere like C:Folder/folder/folder/folder/diningtable.pdf that is the file location not the file name.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I could be wrong here but I woiuld think the file name is strictly the name and extension.... such as.... diningtable.pdf. When you store it somewhere like C:Folder/folder/folder/folder/diningtable.pdf that is the file location not the file name.
    That's correct. And note that the extension is what comes after the "." such as "pdf". It is not the filename plus the path to the file.

At the risk of stating the obvious, it will be a lot more efficient to start by shortening the names of the higher-level folders. Using Earl's example, "woodworking projects" with a sub-folder named "bedroom projects" can become "wp/br/" and then you've saved that many characters for lots of files.

I don't use spaces in file and folder names but you can use capitaliztion to make them easier to read: e.g. "ShellacCut.xls". That can save a few characters. Note that in Windows (at least the last time I was a serious Windows user) capitalization didn't matter to Windows. I.e. "ShellacCut.xls" and "shellaccut.xls" are the same file and you can have only one of them in a folder. In Linux they would be different files and you could have both in the same folder.
    Last edited by Alan Rutherford; 12-18-2023 at 10:16 AM.

You are correct, diningtable.pdf is properly called the file name. "pdf" is called the extension although it is now more often referred to as the type. The C:folder... filename.pdf string is referred to as the path and also provides the location.
    The default path, including filename, is up to 260 characters but this includes some null characters at the end so the useful length is 255 characters.
    My preference is to layer folders but I dislike having a lot of layers - things get too buried for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    ... Note that in Windows (at least the last time I was a serious Windows user) capitalization didn't matter to Windows. I.e. "ShellacCut.xls" and "shellaccut.xls" are the same file and you can have only one of them in a filder. In Linux they would be different files and you could have both in the same folder.
    After fooling with Unix, I give thanks everyday that Windows does not care about capitalization in filenames.

thanks for all the details. It struck me that even if I trick the computer so i can go in five or six layers I have to copy some of this info and give to someone else so I couild solve it at this end then an issue at the other,. That points to break stuff up more and less lawyers and I agree. Im visual I have a massive folder ive built that fills the screen and has details they are good I can see it all then go in, in the process of going in and going in adding more and more info its been too much so the answer think is to pull oiut the deeper info and just pull it back to the main screen so there are five or six folders in a row all same topic I just want all to fit on the screen so I can visually look at the whole adventure with some details and numbers of all that is helpful

I don't know about Microsoft file systems but most people in *nix don't have spaces in file names. They'll use an underscore, something like new_file_name. There can be a problem with spaces but I don't know what that problem is.

driving to the city had a new thought. Say I change internal or use a program and no more restriction on file names or the extensions. What happens when I make a copy and hand it to someone else and it goes into their computer. Id think if not adjusted maybe the files would not open
    I can test this at the library on their windows 10 and see I suppose but then I cant copy the folders over anyway as they want to skip the longest named folders. If I rename tiny on every step and can rescue then I can pull it out and make a new folder
    One other thought was that in looking on the number it said when you change the feature in the computer then if you have any folders you cant delete as names are too long you will be able to delete them. More to learn, ongoing with these boxes and ive tried to stay simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I don't know about Microsoft file systems but most people in *nix don't have spaces in file names. They'll use an underscore, something like new_file_name. There can be a problem with spaces but I don't know what that problem is.
    Things have changed a lot over the years and things that were forbidden are no legit in filenames. It took me quite a while before I started using spaces and still minimize my use. For what I'll call the typical Windows end-user, spaces are not a problem and if you use an illegal character in creating a filename it will get flagged. Spaces are a problem in file and path names if you are using the Command Prompt or the Powershell commands. If you want to exchange your files with other operating systems then you should probably avoid them and try to stick to more universal naming conventions.

I'll stand corrected. We had problems at my office with full path lengths when data storage was moved to cloud-based--and what used to work on local stations became very difficult to access, so i adjusted on my home computers as well. Interesting discussion!!

earl can you explain that to me. Is my thought on track that if I use a program to modify the computer so my folders open my thought and think its on track is I can hand this same folder on a disc to someone else then they will not be able to see all for the ame reason that is t hat their computer is limited size wise
    Im best to try and pull the folders apart and can even think of a few good reasons I have master template and can see a whole large adventure on it. Its better some of the info in folders is in the master folder I have to rename all tiny one number and hope I can work my way back its worked in the past in most cases I hate removing the info though but will figure it out and if brought out to the master I can put info back as there will nmot be muliple layers.

Sounds like the cloud is a good thing, I dont trust it. Too old to trust things anymore.

If you need to reference file paths with spaces in them via the command prompt, you just enclose the file path in quotes.

Example: "c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16"

Derek