Thread: Feeling "Thick as a Brick" this morning

Feeling "Thick as a Brick" this morning

I have a new table saw and I am setting up my Incra miter express sled. Slots are a little different from the blade, but room for cut offs no problem. Blade, using a calibration disc for set up and a digital dial indicator, is .0005 to parallel.

I would normally use my large square in the open miter slot to square the Incra fence, but this seems cumbersome with the height of the sled base. I can put my digital dial indicator in the open slot and use it to check square, but I can't come up with anything to put against the fence with a wide enough surface facing the open slot to run the dial indicator tip against.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Brian
    Brian

So I have a lot of clarity when I am around water. So in the shower this morning I am reminded, by something greater than myself, that I should square to the base of the sled towards the blade. I did this Ta-da. thanks. Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    I need a picture. I just can't get a picture in my head of what you are describing .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I need a picture. I just can't get a picture in my head of what you are describing .
    Same here. But your post title inspired me to put on some Jethro Tull, so it's a good day.
    Glad you resolved your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Sorry for the poor verbiage, said I was thick headed!

what I was trying to do with indicator working off other slot.

what i was trying to do.jpg

What I finally remembered to do off the side of the sled

what i did.jpg

Thanks brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Same here. But your post title inspired me to put on some Jethro Tull, so it's a good day.
    Edwin:

Loved Ian's writing, very thoughtful for a 15 year old to consider. Saw them live in 70's passion play tour. Not as great as his other stuff, but a good show. Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Since the blade had been set to be parallel to the miter slot, either method should have worked. This assumes your combination square is actually 90. I would have placed the cast end of the square against the face of the fence and then run the probe along the edge of the scale to amplify the potential missing alignment of the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Since the blade had been set to be parallel to the miter slot, either method should have worked. This assumes your combination square is actually 90. I would have placed the cast end of the square against the face of the fence and then run the probe along the edge of the scale to amplify the potential missing alignment of the fence.
    Both would have, just the edge of the square blade was so thin.... Brian
    Brian

I have the 5000 Inca sled and just use the tablesaw fence and framing square. A few opportunities for error but has worked well forme.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Ditto - glad you got it solved. Just fired up Thick as a Brick in the shop.
    Regards,

Kris

Skating away,on the thin ice of a new day…

Take a long straight scrap 2x2 x 48 or water size,
    mark each face with a few pencil so that each face is identifiable.
    Cut the stick in half using your mitre fence/
    Stand the sticks up on the cut ends on a flat surface.
    move the sticks close together, note if the gap between them is parallel.
    Rotate one stick 180 degrees, note if it is still parallel. Any error will be obvious.
    By referencing different faces together you can check and verify that your sawblade is both square to the table and that your miter fence is square to the line of travel, with extreme accuracy and without using any tools.
    Errors would, in the example measurements given above would be amplified 24 to 1
    When the gap is parallel whichever faces are matched your good to go.

not to scale drawing

assem1.jpgAssem1b.jpg