Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to Lenox Classic

Alternative to Lenox Classic

I posted this yesterday on the general woodworking forum by accident so sorry for the double post.

I need to replace the Lenox classic 3/4", 3tpi hook tooth blade I've been using for breaking down rough blanks. I don't really have any complaints about the blade but wondering if there is a better option for me. I was looking at the CT but it only comes in 1" or greater width - also looked at the trimaster but no experience. My saw is a laguna 14bx (2.5hp version). Thanks for any direction.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

For rough cutting blanks, I prefer the Lennox bimetal blades. I use a 1/2 inch, 3 tpi blade for cutting circles, and a 1 1/4 by 3/4 inch spaced teeth for slabbing up log sections. I did see a Woodmizer blade with resharpenable carbide teeth, that was used on one of their bandsaw mills and it looked great for slabs. Not sure if they make one for standard bandsaws or not. The carbide tipped blade that Lennox makes has teeth so small they can not be resharpened. As my blade source said, they are for cutting veneers.

robo hippy

Reed, that 1 and 1/4 is way bigger than my saw can handle. Which 1/2 inch Lenox blade are you using? And how is the longevity?

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    For rough cutting blanks, I prefer the Lennox bimetal blades. I use a 1/2 inch, 3 tpi blade for cutting circles, and a 1 1/4 by 3/4 inch spaced teeth for slabbing up log sections. I did see a Woodmizer blade with resharpenable carbide teeth, that was used on one of their bandsaw mills and it looked great for slabs. Not sure if they make one for standard bandsaws or not. The carbide tipped blade that Lennox makes has teeth so small they can not be resharpened. As my blade source said, they are for cutting veneers.

robo hippy

I know they have different widths. I do have 2 bandsaws. The small one, a PM that only cuts 6 inches high, has a 1/2 by 3 tpi blade on it. I got the thicker one, but don't know the measure. It is their Diemaster bimetal blade. With the 1/2 inch blade, you can cut circles down to 5 inches, maybe less. If you have a local dealer, talk to them. I started with the bimetal blades, and can't see using anything else.

robo hippy

Fortunately for me, I have exactly that blade in the shop and switching to it this afternoon. Thanks for the reply.

I know they have different widths. I do have 2 bandsaws. The small one, a PM that only cuts 6 inches high, has a 1/2 by 3 tpi blade on it. I got the thicker one, but don't know the measure. It is their Diemaster bimetal blade. With the 1/2 inch blade, you can cut circles down to 5 inches, maybe less. If you have a local dealer, talk to them. I started with the bimetal blades, and can't see using anything else.

robo hippy

I'm with Reed. The Lenox bimetals are hard to beat. Last a long time. It's all I buy now

Thanks for the reply, Tom. I installed the diemaster 2 today. Took my tension gauge to about halfway through the 3/4 setting before I heard that nice thud from plucking the blade - really the most tension I've had to apply to any 1/2" blade. I've got some blanks to break down tomorrow so I'll I'll find out how it cuts then. Ran out of gas today...

Update: I installed the Diemaster 2 and it cuts efficiently. However, the quality of cut is quite diminished over the Lenox classic. I recommend the latter, very good blade.

I use the Lenox Diemaster 1/2” for all my bowl blank and log cutting. Definitely smooth enough for turning but it’s not intended as a finish blade. Very long lasting and can be sharpened.

No clue as to what the Lennox Classic is, but if you want smooth cuts, the carbide tipped blade is, as they told me at the shop, for cutting veneers.

robo hippy

Reed, the classic is also a Lenox bi-metal blade with a 3tpi hook tooth pattern (one of the choices). Looking at it next to the Diemaster, the tooth pattern looks similar. I found the classic cuts both a little cleaner and faster. Also, something curious, both blades arrive at proper tension at the same point, even though one is a 3/4 and the other a half inch. I have other blades for smoother cuts, it was just an observation but that combined with better efficiency has me thinking to order another. I wonder if it's subjective though, I could be biased who knows.

No clue as to what the Lennox Classic is, but if you want smooth cuts, the carbide tipped blade is, as they told me at the shop, for cutting veneers.

robo hippy

Does any of you guys have any experience with a Timber Wolf blade? And if so how does it compare?

A friend of mine used to use the Timberwolf blades. I gave him a Lennox blade and he commented, it cuts straighter and longer. I have known a few others who switched.

robo hippy

I've used them plenty but they're only good for dried and dressed stock imho and their longevity leaves something to be desired. I made the switch to the Lennox blades once I got a lathe and started sawing green wood - never going back. That said, they're excellent for cast iron saws because they work off low tension.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Seiber View Post
    Does any of you guys have any experience with a Timber Wolf blade? And if so how does it compare?

Thanks guys I'll have a to try one next time I buy.