Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you cross cut pieces say 6" or wider to 90 degrees

How do you cross cut pieces say 6" or wider to 90 degrees

Using my Incra and trying to cut wider boards. On my new saw, Sawstop, when I pull back to allow the edge of the piece to clear the front of the blade before turning on the saw, the end of the Incra miter guide is out of the miter slot. Feel like I am introducing deflection into the cut and not getting a true 90 degree cut. I have a panel cutter I built, but seems odd to have to get this out to do this.

Thanks.

Brian
    Brian

Turn you mitre fence around.

Brian, I would not suggest turning the mitre gauge around as the wood will not be supported during the cut.

You want to have the crosscut fence pushing the wood towards the blade, so a crosscut sled would be a suitable choice.

Regards, Rod

You have to hold the wood tight against the mitre fence, either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Brian, I would not suggest turning the mitre gauge around as the wood will not be supported during the cut.

You want to have the crosscut fence pushing the wood towards the blade, so a crosscut sled would be a suitable choice.

Regards, Rod

You need to make an infeed table to support your miter saw or crosscut sled. I can provide more details if you are interested.infeed.jpg
    If you want to buy one, check out this video by Izzy Swan, it's similar to the one I made years ago.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrIjzXDDKFs&t=136s
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 12-16-2023 at 5:11 PM. Reason: added video link

I use a cross cut sled on the table saw

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    You need to make an infeed table to support your miter saw or crosscut sled. I can provide more details if you are interested.infeed.jpg
    If you want to buy one, check out this video by Izzy Swan, it's similar to the one I made years ago.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrIjzXDDKFs&t=136s
    Thanks Doug. Brian
    Brian

Thanks men. Sounds like an infeed table or crosscut sled. Brian
    Last edited by Brian Runau; 12-17-2023 at 1:12 PM.
    Brian

Crosscut sleds for 99% of cuts, Incra Miter gauge for the other 1%.

I have two homemade sleds, one is my go to for smaller widths, 0"-10" and then a larger one for about a 24" width.

Here's another variation on an infeed table with a bonus fence storage solution. Forward to about 16:30 of this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP1nATcKTsg

I agree with most of the posts above that a cross-cut sled is generally the go to for anything of reasonable depth (say 10+ inches).

My crosscut died when we moved due to moisture in the storage unit, so before I started on my wife's turn-table console she wanted, for the new house, she surprised me with a very nice anniversary present. 100% of the crosscuts and miters were cut using the Woodpeckers Auto-Scale. I can crosscut nearly 24" before it even begins to move. If you haven't built your own though, I recommend making a good crosscut at least once. IMHO the WP auto-scale is better than a home made one in many ways (I've built many myself), but it's certainly not necessary. What is necessary is that you have at least one crosscut sled in your shop!

As mentioned, I built this almost exclusively using the WP Auto-Scale and just standard rips on the SawStop. The miters came out absolutely perfect.

I don't do a lot of big cabinets, but in a pinch I'll use the Harvey Crosscut. I love it when I need it, but you can do the same thing with a tracksaw in a pinch.

Last edited by Michael Burnside; 12-16-2023 at 6:28 PM. Reason: I'm a terrible speller

got this in an email today
    This Sale Ends at Midnight! Get Yours Today!
    If you’re planning to build a cross-cut sled (or any accessory that needs a miter bar), get that project off on the right foot by starting with the Woodpeckers Miter Bar. Our new miter bar solves the age-old problem of achieving a perfect fit from one saw to the next and has the length needed for accurate cross cuts. Our new patent-pending design has 5 specially-engineered nylon leaf springs built into the edge of the miter bar that automatically adapt to either undersized or oversized miter slots…no adjustments needed. Even if the slot varies in width from end to end (and it probably does), the leaf springs expand and contract to keep the right edge of the bar perfectly tight against the miter slot wall. To complement the leaf springs, we made the bar 25-1/2" long, the longest on the market. This improves accuracy by spanning inconsistencies in the miter slot and gives you an impressive foundation for your cross-cut sled or jig.
    Like all Woodpeckers products, the Woodpeckers Miter Bar is proudly machined and carefully inspected in our Strongsville, OH facility just south of Cleveland. Order your Miter Bar by Midnight tonight and you’ll save $15! Order yours today!
    looks like it might work for you
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    You have to hold the wood tight against the mitre fence, either way.

Yes Mark, I’m aware of that however in one situation the fence is supporting the stock against the cutting force, in the other it is not.

I always pick the direction with support.

Regards, Rod.

This ^^^^. I rarely use my miter gauge for straight (right angle) cross cuts, and never for cross cuts greater than a couple of inches. I keep a dialed in to square, small crosscut sled hanging on a hook next to the saw, and it's the go to for nearly all cross cuts that don't require setting an angle.

(And for that matter, those that do require an angle probably more often than not go on home built wedgie sled, which has settings for the most common angles one cuts.

I follow Norm on this.
    Norm uses two different sleds.
    One has the fence away from the operator.
    The other is the more well known crosscut sled, with the fence by the operator.
    You can see him use both in this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvfLHmhkkwM

Also - I have a track saw which I also use, depending on the size of the material.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon