Thread: What can I Use To Make Peel & Stick wallpaper Adhere to a Tung-Oiled Countertop?

What can I Use To Make Peel & Stick wallpaper Adhere to a Tung-Oiled Countertop?

Hi there! I am new here, so please forgive me if I am putting this in the wrong section. Here is what I am trying to find the answer to...I recently remodeled my kitchen sink area. I bought the base from Lowes and used finished grade plywood for the area around the sink. I applied Tung Oil several times to make the area waterproof (which worked very well) but now I want to apply a heavyweight marble-looking wallpaper. The problem is because it was treated with oil, it will not stick to the wood. I have tried sanding it down but that did not work, I'm assuming because the oil penetrated the wood. I am at a loss here and need to know what, if anything, I can do to the wood to ensure the wallpaper will stick as it should?
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-15-2023 at 1:37 PM. Reason: defaulted text

If you used actual pure tung oil, it's a drying oil and after it fully cures...about 30 days sometimes...there should be no "oil" left to cause issue. What is the actual product you applied to the wood? I will caution you that you are still at risk for failure using a self-stick product like that for a countertop...'nature of the beast.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If you used actual pure tung oil, it's a drying oil and after it fully cures...about 30 days sometimes...there should be no "oil" left to cause issue. What is the actual product you applied to the wood? I will caution you that you are still at risk for failure using a self-stick product like that for a countertop...'nature of the beast.
    Hi Jim, thank you for responding. It was pure tung oil and it has been approx. 1 1/2 months since applied. I found a highly rated wallpaper on Amazon that I would like to use but it just won't stick (of course they make it look easy). I have done a little research and seen where some have suggested pure acetone, epoxy, and spray adhesive but not knowing anything about it, I was afraid to try it. I am almost wondering if I am going to have to take out the sink and replace the wood with sometime of laminate. I am open to any suggestions.

It sounds like the tung oil you used did not cure. Sometimes age does that, but regardless, I have a feeling that you're not going to get anything "adhesive backed" to stick. You certainly can try wiping with acetone (be sure you have excellent ventilation and a respirator) and coating with a table top resin product, such as Total Boat, but talk with them first before you spend the money.

I'll also add that a wood countertop that is contiguous with a stink is very risky even when one fully encases the wood in resin on all sides as well as for sealing any and all penetrations. It can be done and many folks do, but it's a risk, nonetheless.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Try putting on a coat or two of bonding primer, something like this, or similar: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zinsser-...2001/100398391

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It sounds like the tung oil you used did not cure. Sometimes age does that, but regardless, I have a feeling that you're not going to get anything "adhesive backed" to stick. You certainly can try wiping with acetone (be sure you have excellent ventilation and a respirator) and coating with a table top resin product, such as Total Boat, but talk with them first before you spend the money.

I'll also add that a wood countertop that is contiguous with a stink is very risky even when one fully encases the wood in resin on all sides as well as for sealing any and all penetrations. It can be done and many folks do, but it's a risk, nonetheless.
    Thank you so much for your wisdom, Jim. I will try the acetone and resin to see if I can get anywhere with that. I will let you know if it works

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Try putting on a coat or two of bonding primer, something like this, or similar: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zinsser-...2001/100398391

John
    Hi John. Thank you for your input. I will put that on my list of things to try; but I'm afraid I'm going to have to just redo the whole thing and do away with the wood.

Open to suggestions? Corian is a top shelf solution.

Blog Entries
    Formica or Wilson-art plastic laminate rather than wallpaper is another suggestion. Formica glue or weld-wood contact cement are very sticky. The concept is very similar to your wallpaper idea. It is typically done before the sink goes in.
    Best Regards, Maurice