Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Repairing Craftsman rachet

They were fine , til they hired nurse Rachet.

It is questionable that someone bought the rights to the craftsman name and was not stuck honoring the warrantees. They paid good money for the "goodwill" and name recognition..
    Well before selling off the Craftsman name the CEO had already flown the entire Sears brand into the ground. He literally cashed in on the name and the property where the stores rested. Sold it all off piece by piece until there was nothing left. Oh, and of course he simply complained the whole time about how hard it was for traditional brick and mortar stores to compete with online retailers. All the scandals from the Sears Auto Center didn't help, but it was typical greed and ineptidude which sank the good ship Sears.

Stanley had no intention of goodwill or honoring warranties. They also simply cashed in and moved on.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 12-16-2023 at 11:46 PM.

Sears and Montgomery Wards failed near the same time. Just as internet shopping was starting. Interesting that they both shut down their mailorder business and did not try to sell that portion off to Amazon or whoever. Their mailing list would have been worth something to someone.
    The Chicago post office, used by sears and wards, was the largest in the world with a highway running through the basement and train tracks as well for shipping out mailorder goods.
    Bill D.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-17-2023 at 11:31 AM.

Wards was gone in 2001.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Never understood the appeal of those polished ratchets. They just slip out of my cold oily hands.
    An old mechanic friend of mine showed me how a person can work on automobiles without getting dirt and oil all over oneself. It changed my ways of working. Sometimes, like when changing oil I just let it get on my hands, sometimes I don't.

In a slightly related profession, I worked in a few silkscreen print shops. Silkscreen printers tend to have colorful clothes and stained hands and arms from getting ink everywhere. One of my jobs was in a circuit board shop. One of the silk screeners never got the ink on his hands or cloths. He talked of one place he worked about interviewing for the job. The person from the shop said he couldn't have been a silkscreen printer because he was too clean. Fortunately he had worked with a few other printers in the shop who could vouch for him woking without getting ink everywhere.

There was one time when my shirt was covered in stop sign ink, a guy faking a heart attack, the first police officer on the scene and what he was thinking when he saw the guy down and me with a bright red blotch on the front of my shirt…

The sign shop was across the highway from the horse track. The faker was a regular loser at the track.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-17-2023 at 2:35 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have a Craftsman 1/2" ratchet which I bought many years before the internet and the only way I could get it was when a mate of mine went to the US for work. I can recall he brought back a catalogue which I spent hours looking at as there was no practical way for ordering from outside the US, I did not even have a credit card then! The irony is that not many years after buying it I stopped using 1/2" sockets and converted to 3/8" so it has not done a lot of work at all and sits unloved in my roll cab.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    It is questionable that someone bought the rights to the craftsman name and was not stuck honoring the warrantees. They paid good money for the "goodwill" and name recognition.
    Stanley is honoring the same Craftsman guarantee on any Craftsman tool ever produced. It is just harder to find a retailer to do the swap. Stanley has a special phone number for the warranty exchanges, but I don't know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Stanley is honoring the same Craftsman guarantee on any Craftsman tool ever produced. It is just harder to find a retailer to do the swap. Stanley has a special phone number for the warranty exchanges, but I don't know what it is.
    https://www.craftsman.com/pages/warranty Phone number (toll free) is listed
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    That's a pleasant surprise. You're going to be without a tool for a while til you get the replacement but still more than I would have expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Well before selling off the Craftsman name the CEO had already flown the entire Sears brand into the ground. He literally cashed in on the name and the property where the stores rested. Sold it all off piece by piece until there was nothing left. Oh, and of course he simply complained the whole time about how hard it was for traditional brick and mortar stores to compete with online retailers. All the scandals from the Sears Auto Center didn't help, but it was typical greed and ineptidude which sank the good ship Sears.

Stanley had no intention of goodwill or honoring warranties. They also simply cashed in and moved on.
    Guy's name was Eddy Lampert. I read that he bought Sears for the real estate holdings, he had no desire to run a retail operation. I wonder if he expected mall properties to lose value like they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    https://www.craftsman.com/pages/warranty Phone number (toll free) is listed
    I was just too lazy to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Guy's name was Eddy Lampert. I read that he bought Sears for the real estate holdings, he had no desire to run a retail operation. I wonder if he expected mall properties to lose value like they have.
    AFAIK, he's still in charge. And just opened two Sears stores back up on the left coast.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...