Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keyless drill chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Whatever the make and model of cordless drill, I tighten the chuck onto the bit using the low-speed setting of the drill, running the drill, and holding the chuck with my other hand. I’ve never had a problem with them loosening if I do it this way, but I have if I try to tighten the chuck using a higher speed setting. I’ve also found that I have to pay attention if I’m using bits with flats ground into the shank so that the jaws of the chuck land on the flats, and not the flat/shank corner.
    Your post makes me wonder how other are tightening the bits in their drills, ehich might contribute to the loosening.

I tighten mine by turning the ring on the chuck while the drill is not running, motor is static. There is something the tighten against rather than just the friction of your hand. I've never had an issue with loosening.
    I suppose the motor braking system may be more abrupt on the newer drills, I don't know for sure. Curious situation

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Your post makes me wonder how other are tightening the bits in their drills, ehich might contribute to the loosening.

I tighten mine by turning the ring on the chuck while the drill is not running, motor is static. There is something the tighten against rather than just the friction of your hand. I've never had an issue with loosening.
    I suppose the motor braking system may be more abrupt on the newer drills, I don't know for sure. Curious situation
    I tighten them the same as you. I've never had an issue, other than this Milwaukee, including presses with keyless chucks (which, I generally dislike). I'd get rid of the drill, since it's a pain, but it was my dad's, and you know how that goes.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut