Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VFD for 120v bench grinder

VFD for 120v bench grinder

I have a 1hp jet bench grinder (3450 rpm’s). Is there such a thing as a VFD to slow it down? If so recommendations. I’ve looked online, just would like a little knowledge before I call and order something. Or get talked into something.

thank you

The issue will be that your existing single-phase motor likely has a centrifugal switch which depends on motor speed.

You definitely could do it with a 3-phase motor.

Only if it is a shaded pole motor with no centrifugal switch, unlikely. If it is save money and just use a scr control.
    Bill D

You cannot use a vfd on a single phase motor. 3 phase only

Quote Originally Posted by ray grundhoefer View Post
    You cannot use a vfd on a single phase motor. 3 phase only
    False. You can buy VFDs with single phase in and out. https://www.amazon.com/Single-Output...c1a776d5d&th=1

It's probably cheaper and easier to buy a low or variable speed grinder. Your existing motor may well not be inverter rated even if it is the right kind of motor (I'm not wise in these things). Or put a smaller diameter grinding wheel on it to achieve lower ft/sec at the same rotational speed.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    It's probably cheaper and easier to buy a low or variable speed grinder. Your existing motor may well not be inverter rated even if it is the right kind of motor (I'm not wise in these things). Or put a smaller diameter grinding wheel on it to achieve lower ft/sec at the same rotational speed.
    That seems like it would be easiest and cheapest if you can find stones with suitable bores. Would rests and jigs fit?

Likely little financial advantage, if any, going the single-phase VFD route and a good chance of burning up the motor since they weren't designed for this type of service. Big difference fooling with VFDs compared to just having to plug the power cord into the wall!

Look for a 120v rheostat. Match the amp draw of your grinder. Luckily these are far cheaper then VFDs

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Look for a 120v rheostat. Match the amp draw of your grinder. Luckily these are far cheaper then VFDs
    That's a good way to burn up the grinder and the rheostat. Induction motors don't take kindly to low voltage.

This cannot be used with induction motors. Only "universal" (screamer) type motors.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    This cannot be used with induction motors. Only "universal" (screamer) type motors.
    Are bench grinders ususally induction? Mine is a variable speed with a built in rheostat

I put an SCR speed control on my whole house fan. Works fine. Of course this is a no starting load shaded pole motor. It would not work if it was a capacitor motor.
    I suppose a VFD would run a single phase motor as long as rpm was above switching speed or higher. Most want to slow down a grinder not speed it up
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-14-2023 at 11:27 AM.

Are bench grinders ususally induction? Mine is a variable speed with a built in rheostat
    Most are indeed induction motors...variable speed isn't a common thing you'll find on most grinders.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you all. Think I will use it the way it is. I bought it to reshape some scrapers. Although I thought it was los speed to begin with. I will be extra careful, and tread lightly