Thread: EM6000 touch up in place

EM6000 touch up in place

Wanted to ask what the options are for touching up EM6000 for items that are already installed. I understand it’s a spray finish but for things like large furniture or window/door casing it seems like a recipe for disaster (along with a really pissed off spouse) to spray inside the house.
    words of wisdom on this?

I've done minor touch ups with EM6500 and a soft brush and it should not be an issue to do the same with the clear EM6000. Obviously, the smaller the blemish, the less likely the fix will show.

Believe it or not, these finishes can be sprayed indoors relatively safely. The challenge is to close off the space from the rest of the house, having outside temps that permits ventilation and ideally an air filter (commercial or slapped together with a fan and filter) to capture the dry fines that get into the air to reduce cleanup. If you use an airless like the Graco Quickshot with appropriate tip or a good HVLP gun with the PPS system so you can have super control over the work, you can easily spray inside after masking off. Folks do that all the time for final coating built in cabinetry "out there".

Of course, using proper padding and other methods to protect the workpiece while moving and installing is always a good idea...and sometimes an art form.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the reply Jim,
    I have been able to find tune HVLP spraying decently well, so I know it wouldn’t be terribly hard to confine the spray to a pretty small area if needed. It’s more of the prepping and taping everything off. if I had a good week of the wife being out of the house, I could probably pull it off just fine. But if she catches any hint of me wanting to spray touchup stuff in the house she would really freak out. Hence the inquiry of the topic.
    I think the areas that I can see that would need a touchup are small enough that I could get away with a brush application.
    Thanks again for the feedback on this.

Depending on the size of the touch-up required perhaps an airbrush would be sufficient? Much less scary than a full blown spray gun.

I've been experimenting with brushing EM6000 on small turnings and it seems to work just fine. I'd like to use WB lacquer sometimes but it's not worth cleaning the gun just to spray a pepper mill. I've been using a small Grammercy water based finish brush that works way better than others I've tried.