Thread: Dewalt 735 Planer Issue

Dewalt 735 Planer Issue

I've had this planer for a few years and it's worked well. I started getting these ridges in one area and now it's across the board. I replaced the knives and cleaned all the roller but I get the same results. What am I missing here? They sand out, but it should be a clean cut.

Thanks,

Mike

Dewalt Planer.JPGDewalt 2.JPG

Possible your new blades are slightly thicker and the screw heads are slightly rubbing on the wood? Put some crayon on the screw heads and see if it gets rubbed off with the pass of a board.

Are you sure you cleaned all the wood contacting parts? Those look like knicks in the knives, but if you replaced the knives I'm at a bit of a loss. Are they ridges or grooves? If they are ridges, they are coming from the knives, if they are groves, they are caused by the rollers or some other contact surface. Also, are these on the top of the board or the bottom?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Too me it looks like defects in the edges of the knives.
    Just because they are new knives doesn’t mean the edge is right. How confident are you the first or second board you sent though after changing the knives didn’t have dirt embedded in it.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    Are you sure you cleaned all the wood contacting parts? Those look like knicks in the knives, but if you replaced the knives I'm at a bit of a loss. Are they ridges or grooves? If they are ridges, they are coming from the knives, if they are groves, they are caused by the rollers or some other contact surface. Also, are these on the top of the board or the bottom?
    The ridges are raised above the board and on the top. These were already planed boards and nothing was on them. The old knives did the same thing so that's why I replace them. I also bought Dewalt blades and not any knock off's on Amazon. While the blades were out I cleaned all the rollers with scotch brite. I'm puzzled.
    Last edited by Mike Congiusti; 12-12-2023 at 7:18 PM.

If they are raised above the board surface, then they are caused by defects in the knives. Sorry to be the messenger of bad news.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    If they are raised above the board surface, then they are caused by defects in the knives. Sorry to be the messenger of bad news.
    I find it hard to believe that the original set plus the new set I bought have the same issues. I can turn these around and see if it makes a difference. I was hoping someone with this planer had the same issue and solved it.

Lots of planers have been sold brand new with lousy knives. Buy T-1 knives or M-2 knives , demand that your order of knives have
    etched on the end , the type of steel etched , not a paper stamp. I have never used M -42 steel , but some shops like it.

I have nicked new blades on my 735 on the first pass of a clean board with no knots.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I have nicked new blades on my 735 on the first pass of a clean board with no knots.
    Same here, usually I take advantage of the rubber rollers and do a double pass for the last cut. Cleans the board up enough I can finish the job with a ROS. A drum sander would work too, but my shop and wallet don't have room for that.

I've got a set of infinity blades ready to install for the next project though. Hopefully they hold up better than the DeWalt ones.

Could be a piece of a knot stuck up in the machine. Drop the tables and check for burrs on the table and junk up around the cutter head.

Thant many nicks looks like sandy wood. If you put wood on the floor, or stack wood end grain down on the floor, or put dirty stuff on benches, the sand gets on the wood. One pass, and the knives are nicked. I see a lot of photos of people putting wood on end, on a garage floor. Just cut the ends off before machining it. Better yet, don't put wood on concrete.

Those knives should also be slotted so you can offset them in the case some knicks do get in the blades. Slide one far left, one far right, and one in the middle to see if it is imperfections in the blades.