Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venturing down the Maksiwa path ...

Venturing down the Maksiwa path ...

While I was not familiar with the brand, I took a gamble and placed an order for the newly released Maksiwa BMS.1600.IR sliding table saw. I used to own a Felder/Hammer combo machine with slider, then went back to a SawStop ICS (second one I've owned) with the Harvey Compass slider ... but ultimately decided to return to a true slider. I danced around with the idea of many brands, but ultimately settled in on this saw due to price, features, and need (hobby shop).

Only in the first days of ownership ... but things are starting off really well. The saw was VERY well calibrated out of the box, the components are of high quality and finish, and assembly was easy.

Figured I'd post this here as there is not tons of information out there on the saw or brand. As I get more time on the machine, I'll have a stronger opinion, but right now things look promising.

https://maksiwa.com/usa/product/bms-1600-ir/

IMG_1398.jpgIMG_1396.jpgIMG_1407.jpgIMG_1432.jpg

Congrats on the new saw

I look forward to more details as you go. A couple questions. What is the approximate cost range of that saw? What other sliders did you consider and how did you make your decision? Thanks!

Looks very nice, I'll keep an eye on this thread and thanks for posting.

Looks like a very nice machine! Congrats!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd like to hear more about this machine and what drove your choice, particularly the price point of this one and longer term what your experience with it is like. Congrats by the way!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Windholtz View Post
    I look forward to more details as you go. A couple questions. What is the approximate cost range of that saw? What other sliders did you consider and how did you make your decision? Thanks!
    The cost was just under $6k shipped. This is the "smaller" version of their saw and would be right for a garage or small shop (mine is 1,000 sqft).

I looked at just about everything from antique, retired beasts to the most modern flesh-sensing Felder. Prices ranged from $2,500 (used, old) to $30,000 (new, leading tech). From Felder and Hammer, to Cantek and Grizzly. I might have even dreamed for a minute on a Martin, but then I woke up.

Why this saw?
    - Size. It fit my shop.
    - Price. It fit my budget.
    - Features .... this is really where it shines coupled with the above. At this price point it includes a lot ... 5HP main motor, 1HP scoring motor, two flip stops, overhead blade guard, digital fence readout.

My concerns were the lack of information out there. They are based in Brazil and have offices in Miami, FL (likely for distribution). However, these saws really aren't that complex, and I'm convinced the super expensive ones are better marketing than anything else. Having owned a Felder Hammer prior, I can tell you already this is definitely NOT worse (in many ways better, or exactly the same). The components are beefy, the top is dead flat and ground beautifully, the aluminum is thick and flat, the slider moves nicely, and so far the accuracy is dead on perfect out of the box.

Time will tell!

Brazil, the delta jointers and planers were made in Brazil as far back as the 1980's.
    Bill D

Dusty lumber co has a YouTube video talking about sliders. He got the maksiwa

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Dusty lumber co has a YouTube video talking about sliders. He got the maksiwa
    Interestingly, he's been doing a lot of videos recently for SCM on Instagram, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Interestingly, he's been doing a lot of videos recently for SCM on Instagram, too.
    I saw the initial video 1-1/2 years ago when he got the Maksiwa. About 8 months ago, he ended up purchasing an expensive SCM Nova si 400. Kind of makes you wonder why, lol. Maybe he just needed another saw.

After ww2 several Germans set up a machine tool company in Brazil and made good metal working lathes. I have no idea if delta company ownership was similar or not. People who would know have said the Brazil lathes had similarities to German designs. Nardini and Romi are the makes I know of.
    I think a good deal of Starrett measuring equipment is made in Brazil now a days.
    Bill D

Hey Jeremy, wondering how you're enjoying the saw and if you have any good or bad feelings about your purchase. I'm not ordering a new saw tomorrow or anything but my uni is going to turn into a dado machine at some point and that Maksiwa looks like a pretty awesome price/performance compromise juxtaposed to the euro machines.

Very, very good so far. Like better than the euro Hammer I owned prior, however not by miles (it's just similar with some improvements). So far, so good.

That's great to hear and saying that's is better than the hammer is quite a statement. I'm curious, better in what ways?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Williams View Post
    Very, very good so far. Like better than the euro Hammer I owned prior, however not by miles (it's just similar with some improvements). So far, so good.