Thread: How to mark and drill?

How to mark and drill?

I need to drill a hole in the center of the edge of a board about 1/2" thick. Looking for a shop made solution. The challenges:

Measuring and marking within a few thou'

Hard spots in the grain push the center punch off the mark - It's oak

Hard spots push the drill bit off the punch mark

Drill press tends to flex just enough to throw off a clamped setup, especially with a wide board

Not so easy to clamp a drilling guide to the workpiece

Drill a hole in a guide block, & clamp to the workpiece.

Self-centering doweling jigs are made just for this. I've had mine for many decades.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    I need to drill a hole in the center of the edge of a board about 1/2" thick. Looking for a shop made solution. The challenges:

Measuring and marking within a few thou'

Hard spots in the grain push the center punch off the mark - It's oak

Hard spots push the drill bit off the punch mark

Drill press tends to flex just enough to throw off a clamped setup, especially with a wide board

Not so easy to clamp a drilling guide to the workpiece
    Answering a few questions might be helpful.

1) How big of a hole?

2) Why "within a few thuo'?"

For me one of the hardest places to mark is on the end grain of hardwood blanks going to the lathe.

I start with a very sharp (shop made) scratch awl.

Scratch Awl and Burnisher with Acorns.jpg

This one has four facets. A three faceted awl would likely work just as well. This was made from a piece of HSS drill stock. With the tip and sides sharp it can actually do a little drilling. The wedging action can be used to push wood sideways if your hole is slightly off.

After the mark looks good the hole can be made a little larger with a gimlet.

Various Gimlets.jpg

The smallest one in the box is about 3/32".

If you have an auger bit, the lead screw on that may be able to start the bore to make a nice start for a twist drill bit.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-12-2023 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Oops, forgot images
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It depends on the size of the hole, but if you can use one, a Forstner or brad point bit does a pretty good job of not wandering in the wood with a drill press. Auger bits also work well for this.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm making a jig using a machinist's centering drill. This has a short fat shank and a small point so it won't deflect. I'll run it thru a guide made from some hard maple. Once it establishes the hole it should be ok. The guide will have centering screws which will need to be adjusted. Feeling optimistic.