Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to me, used jointer

new to me, used jointer

I am going to pick up a used Powermatic 8" jointer and not sure how. I have a car trailer, so I will take that with me as the truck bed would be too far off the ground, I was thinking of taking my cherry picker engine hoist with me also. Ok, I know I can't pick up the jointer via the tables I am thinking straps under the base but that should make it very top heavy. Maybe I should separate the base from the jointer and move them separately but would prefer not doing that. Seller states its currently on a furniture moving dolly to move to his driveway. It will be just me and my wife to move this thing, seller states its around 700lbs. and will not be able to help. My wife is a tiny little thing, but quite used to helping me move heavy stuff. I could rent a pallet jack but not sure that would help as I think no matter what I will have to lift onto car trailer, I doubt a pallet jack would go high enough. I could cover the ramps on the trailer with plywood but due to the angle of the ramps, I assume the jointer would again be top heavy.

Oh, if I buy it, it's about a 3 hour drive each way, so no friends to help me load it, but I will have friends to help me unload it, I will be picking it up on a return trip from a family visit so only 20 minutes or so out of my way.

Take the jointer off the base.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

With a sling under the center casting, and an engine hoist, it seems like it could be lifted 30" or more.

Most powermatic jointers have retractable handles that pull out and are intended to lift the machine. Never use the wings, ever. If you have a hoist that can lift it high enough to back in the trailer, that would be ideal. To tie it down you could use the same handles and crisscross straps to keep the jointer secure.

I did not know they had handles, I will ask the seller if it has them, that would also solve my other issue on stabilizing it for the drive home. And to the other poster, I agree if I separate the top/bottom, I should be able to lift it onto the truck and also prevent a tip-over.

If possible flip it upside down and slide it up some 2x4's. It is much more stable upside down. Obviously remove the fence and guard before flipping. To flip it over strap a long 2x4 vertical to the base. Use that as a lever to tip it on its back. Then reposition the lever to flip it upside down. Two levers make it easier to control.
    BilL D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    If possible flip it upside down and slide it up some 2x4's. It is much more stable upside down. Obviously remove the fence and guard before flipping. To flip it over strap a long 2x4 vertical to the base. Use that as a lever to tip it on its back. Then reposition the lever to flip it upside down. Two levers make it easier to control.
    BilL D
    What? I would never do that to a jointer, too many chances for damage to even begin to try that. It's not that difficult to load a jointer on trailer with an engine hoist...
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

The seller is way off on the weight. The new 50HH has a shipping weight of 485 pounds, that means the jointer is actually less. I'd take an appliance dolly, strap that to the back of the jointer, lay the appliance dolly on the back of the trailer, and pull it on with a come-along. You can have it loaded and strapped down by the time you unload the cherry picker.

Take off the fence. Use the sellers pallet jack to get it to your truck's tailgate. My 80's model 60 uses three nuts and bolts to attach the jointer to the base, remove them. Using the pallet jack get the top of the base close to your tailgate height and slide it off the base and onto your truck bed. The base should be manageable by itself, but if it is too heavy remove the motor. If the jointer is older than 10 years I would be changing motor bearings anyway. When you get home do the reverse. Thats how I've done it by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rambour View Post
    I did not know they had handles, I will ask the seller if it has them, that would also solve my other issue on stabilizing it for the drive home. And to the other poster, I agree if I separate the top/bottom, I should be able to lift it onto the truck and also prevent a tip-over.
    No handles on a jointer, that would be a planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hayes View Post
    No handles on a jointer, that would be a planer.
    That statement is incorrect.

https://powermatic.com/catalog/produ...category/2682/

Page 8 of the manual...

Ones that don't have such posts usually can be disassembled and removed from the base piece-meal.
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 12-11-2023 at 5:30 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Well you guys made me look...Ok, this model HAS lifting rods according to the manual and its 610lbs, the shipping weight was over 700lbs, so the seller must have looked at that. The lifting rods greatly simplify the project

As a previous poster noted, I would remove head from base, and strap it to a 2X8 (both beds,) then turn it up side down onto bed of trailer. This way, ways on jointer don't get broken during trip home due to lack of support. When I was teaching school, I had one damaged due to improper transportation. Very nice, and expensive boat anchor.

I gave my buddy an 8" powermatic jointer a couple of years ago. We wrestled it into the back of his pickup truck with a ramp in flip-flops. We did not take it apart, it wasn't hard, we aren't particularly burly but are both pretty comfortable with this sort of thing. He drove 1000 miles and pulled it off himself, but he may have used his forklift. It was a Powermatic 60. I had moved it around the shop by myself with not too much problem. I bet it probably weighs more like 450-500...similar to a cabinet saw as I recall.

My little wife and I moved an 8" joiner. I bolted a manual boat winch to the front of the flat bed. Covered the ramps with plywood. Took off the handle on the winch and used a cordless drill to winch it up unto the trailer. It was on a moveable base.

The bigger issue was getting the tables down the stairs into the basement. I took off the tables. I could handle the motor and base. But those tables!! My 6 foot 6 inch 300 lb son-in-law hugged each table in front off him and just walked down the stairs. That was impressive.
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.