Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oreo's

Oreo's

Not wanting to step on the Ritz cracker thread, so....

Am I the only one who thinks that Oreo's are getting smaller in diameter, as well as thinner in the cookie part. It's already pretty obvious that the filling is less.

My wife says I am wrong about this. I say they are shrinking in all directions.

Another first world problem.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick

Could you be growing?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Rick

Could you be growing?
    LOL!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I havent noticed shrinkage in oreos but that is by design. They probably did knock a little off the diameter. Figure .05" off the diameter would be hard to notice but it would take off quite a bit of product. Which by the box may not add up to that much but by the year they may save millions.

Every product changes sizes and thicknesses over time. I remember a furor back around 1958 when Hershey bars shrank slightly. I live near a very peculiar grocery store that carries end runs, experimental runs, mis labeled items and all kinds of bizarre groceries. They do routinely have Oreo's, maybe 9 months of the year. We bought some small packs for my wife's lunches at work and a big package for the family. Then there are double stuffs, triple stuffs, pumpkin spice, vanilla, mint stuffed, some alien looking red creme filling and I can't remember what all. I do remember that the ones in the big pack were about 2mm less in diameter then the ones in the lunch packs. Noticed the same last month with fig newtons. the lunch packs were actually slightly larger cookies.

I remember when the average Reese's peanut butter cup was 4 oz. and Campbell soups were in 15 oz cans. Tuna also used to be in larger standard cans. the average can of soda is still 12 oz, but lately I am seeing a lot of 7 oz cans. They shrank from the 8 oz cans of 25 years ago. Even hot dog packages seem to have shrunk. 16 oz to 12 oz and now to 10 oz. Used to be ice cream was sold in gallons or half gallons. those shrunk too.

I only buy the super-sized Oreo's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Not wanting to step on the Ritz cracker thread, so....

Am I the only one who thinks that Oreo's are getting smaller in diameter, as well as thinner in the cookie part. It's already pretty obvious that the filling is less.

My wife says I am wrong about this. I say they are shrinking in all directions.

Another first world problem.
    I have always eaten Oreos and Fig Newtons (and Archway Gingersnaps and Windmill cookies and Pepperidge Farm Chessmen)
    Oreo have gotten smaller. The packages have gotten smaller too.
    The Family Size package used to be the standard size package, or very close to it.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Perry sounds like grocery outlet. they should have one in every college town. Just bought some Welchs sangria there. The garlic bologana is interesting.
    Bill D

Some might be confusing “double stuffs” with traditional Oreos. And why don’t they use that sweet song anymore? Little Girls Have
    Pretty Curls ,but I like Oreos ….

Not sure I understand the concern, as food products are sold by weight.
    Regards,

Tom

Rick! you are not imagining things. Yes they have shrunk both in diameter and in the amount of filling. Oreos are a longtime staple in our diet so we've been observing this phenomenon for years. Others have noted this as well. A recent article in the Wall Street Journal titled "
    The Biggest ‘Shrinkflation’ Scandal Yet: Oreo Fans Think Cookies Have Less Filling".
    I cant link to it but you might be able to google it up. Someone observed that the "double stuff" Oreos are about the same amount of filling as the regular used to be.

And no they are not sold by weight,but by package size. The weight of the packages shrinks while the price stays the same. I'm looking at a "Party-size" pack of Oreos at 1 lb 9.5 ounces, that used to be 24 ounces.

Rick, don't let your wife gaslight you.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 12-11-2023 at 7:00 PM.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    And no they are not sold by weight, but by package size. The weight of the packages shrinks while the price stays the same. I'm looking at a "Party-size" pack of Oreos at 1 lb 9.5 ounces, that used to be 24 ounces.
    Um, isn't 1 lb,9.5oz = 25.5oz, which I think my MIT degree said is greater than 24 oz. Though, sadly, I don't think my MIT degree is worth what it used to be...
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Um, isn't 1 lb,9.5oz = 25.5oz, which I think my MIT degree said is greater than 24 oz. Though, sadly, I don't think my MIT degree is worth what it used to be...
    You're right Alan, and I did mean to say 28 oz but was too excited to discuss one of my pet peeves.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 12-11-2023 at 7:43 PM.
    < insert spurious quote here >

This is a very deep and interesting topic. I would recommend skipping the "standard" and "double stuff" Oreos, only buy the "Mega" Oreos. With "Megas" you no longer worry about size or weight. It does make me very sad to watch my daughter scrape all the Mega icing into the trash before dropping the remaining cookie in a glass of milk.