Thread: spongy mandrel for sanding inside bowls

spongy mandrel for sanding inside bowls

I have the little 3" sanding disks for power sanding inside rotating bowls. My problem is that my sponge rubber mandrel that goes into the angle drill is not spongy or soft at all. Can anyone recommend what make or brand you use that is nice and soft, primarily for the 3" mandrel, hook and loop? And where do you buy your little sanding discs? Thanks much. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    I have the little 3" sanding disks for power sanding inside rotating bowls. My problem is that my sponge rubber mandrel that goes into the angle drill is not spongy or soft at all. Can anyone recommend what make or brand you use that is nice and soft, primarily for the 3" mandrel, hook and loop? And where do you buy your little sanding discs? Thanks much. Randy
    https://vinceswoodnwonders.com/

Check out Klingspor's offerings. I use their 2" mandrels in two close quarter drills and they work really well. Jim

I purchase mine off Amazon. Made by Speednox, cheap and have held up well.

I use firm interface pads for grits up to about 220, then go to medium pads to 400. If I go over 400, which is almost never, then I go to soft pads. If you put 80 grit on a soft pad, it does not cut as well as 120 on a firm pad. Best firm pad is the one from Vince Welch that has the 1/4 round profile on the edge. This is perfect for inside the bowl where you roll the disc to cut with the edge. some times you have to angle the pad a bit to fit into tighter curves. With Vince's medium pads, I prefer the ones that are full size and then I trim 1/8 inch or so off the edge of the pad with scissors. His ones with the 1/4 round profile just don't work as well for me. I do prefer his abrasive discs also. The blue ones and they are over sizes. When sanding the outside of the bowl I use more of the middle of the disc. Keep your lathe speed low, and your pressure light!

robo hippy