Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used Hammer A3-31/41 Where to look?

Thanks. I found it, but he's asking $200 more than a new (in stock) machine???

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    I find keeping the search less specific really helps on FB.
    i just searched and found a A3-31 currently for sale as well as a couple Felder combo machines. I'm on the wrong coast for you though.

Contact Felder and let them know you’re looking for a used machine, they receive them as trades or know of customers who are selling privately

Regards, Rod

Rod suggestion of contacting dealers is a good one-I did that as well and did get a couple leads that didn't pan out.

I did notice that the used one is a planer only. That's still probably a good deal _if_ you have room for separates and you think it makes sense for you to then also find a jointer that will meet your needs.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Rick,

Keep in mind that you'll need a jointer to match. Add the price of a 16" jointer to that and you may be approaching new price of a A3 31.

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jacobs View Post
    I think I did a bait-n-switch on you guys.
    The 2011 model available locally is a only a planer (Model A3 41D) but it does have a Helical Cutter and has a 3KW motor. It seems to look like it's in decent condition.
    Here's a link on Felder's site
    So is $3k a still a fair price?
    Thank you!
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

I agree. $6.5k-ish for new combo vs $3k for 13yr old planer only.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    Rick,
    Keep in mind that you'll need a jointer to match. Add the price of a 16" jointer to that and you may be approaching new price of a A3 31.
    Cliff

Seeing as you can get a 16" Powermatic planer for $4300 or an 16" Oliver for $3200, I would say this is not that great of a price.

Also, 16" stand-alone jointers are significantly more expensive than the combo machines (starting at about $9k for a 16" Oliver jointer).

When it comes to used machinery, from my time in the industry, the price (whatever that price happens to be) is only worth it if you can drive within a few hours and pick it up yourself. The moment “it needs to be crated and shipped” comes into the picture, the risk-to-cost ratio starts to not look so good. Yes, those magical deals exist but based on what I saw, customers who prioritize that usually ended up never finding the machine they were dreaming of. Not saying this to dissuade anyone but just had many of these types of conversations when I was in the biz.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I would probably save up and just buy a new one at some current used prices.

Hammer has 16”JP helical combo machines on sale for 6k. Minimax had some machines on sale for 15-20% just last week.

I picked up Grizzly’s new South Bend 20” helical planer last month. It’s on sale for under $4000. 5 hp, variable speed feed. At the height of Covid it was $5400.

Prices are coming down on new machinery.

Thanks for that info. I appreciate it.
    Thanks to everyone that weighed in.