Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Roger, does Crossover/WINE actually work with Apple Silicone? (M1, M2 M3) Emulation was easy with Intel processors, but they are now a thing of the past in the Apple ecosystem. Parallels uses the ARM version for Windows which in turn provides support for Windows applications. (other than really old ones that require hardware stuff) Edit...yes, Crossover will work on current M1, M2 and M3 based MacOS machines. Crossover does not provide support for the one Window app I use, Vectric Aspire. (CAD/CAM)
    It does, I'm running it on an M2 processor right now. (NB, WINE is an acronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator-- I won't pretend to understand the distinction)

Have you tried Aspire on it? I'm not too surprised that it might be an exception, but lots of things that are unsupported turn out to work anyway. As it is an open source project you could post in their discussion area to see if there's interest in making it work; lots of folks in the "maker" community run Macs and would probably like it to work. I'm guessing it might have some security built in that makes it problematic to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Changing hardware seems to be a part of the corporate profit plan. Remember Parallel Printer Cables? Remember 25 pin serial connectors? Even USB sockets are changing. It looks like the European Union is working to get that standardized.

This is often referred to as "planned obsolescence" or "built in obsolescence."

jtk
    USB C has been around for quite awhile now and has "yuge" advantages to the older USB format(s)...higher bandwidth, smaller connector that doesn't care which way you insert it, compatibility with Thunderbolt 3 and 4 for extremely high bandwidth connection of things like backup drives and multiple monitors, upgradability, etc. What the EU did was make it so that mobile device makers (IE phones for the most part) were setup to use the same connection so that buyers could get away from both proprietary and older connections across the board which reduces waste, too, from so many cables and power adapters going into landfills, etc. When Apple first brought out their Lightning connection, it had some advantages over the various USB connectors available at the time. That became moot when the industry developed USB C and it's good that they have finally moved over, even if it was forced by the EU action. They had already made the change to the iPad as well as the MacOS machines...so iPhone was the last to move.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    It does, I'm running it on an M2 processor right now. (NB, WINE is an acronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator-- I won't pretend to understand the distinction)

Have you tried Aspire on it? I'm not too surprised that it might be an exception, but lots of things that are unsupported turn out to work anyway. As it is an open source project you could post in their discussion area to see if there's interest in making it work; lots of folks in the "maker" community run Macs and would probably like it to work. I'm guessing it might have some security built in that makes it problematic to implement.
    No, I have not tried Aspire on it...I already have my investment in Parallels and a Windows license.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    In '75 it was observed that about every two years the number of transistors in an IC doubles.....
    That's called Moore's Law. Related to that is the observation that actual computing power doubles about every 18 months. Facts that you have to be a bit of a nerd to care about but because of those facts, the value (price) of a given computer decreases by about 30% a year. You don't have to be a nerd to keep that in mind when you're shopping. Computers drop in value even faster than new cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    That's called Moore's Law. Related to that is the observation that actual computing power doubles about every 18 months. Facts that you have to be a bit of a nerd to care about but because of those facts, the value (price) of a given computer decreases by about 30% a year. You don't have to be a nerd to keep that in mind when you're shopping. Computers drop in value even faster than new cars.
    I suspect that rate of improvement is increasing at this point, honestly.
    --

You may well be correct, Jim. I think a difference is that back in the real early days typical users noticed the improvements. For the past number of years, people doing browsing, email, Word-processing, picture viewing have had a more than adequate amount of processing power to do the job efficiently. Of course, if you are doing high-power gaming, and similar such as sophisticated video editing then that extra power is a real good thing.

The Moore's Law thing has, IMHO, less impact on individuals like you and me now than it did "back in the day" because our devices are "so fast" now for the things we generally use them that little notice can be taken "in general" about incremental performance increases. Yes, if any of us are upgrading to a new device after using the current one for quite a few years, the performance gain will be noticeable even for basic tasks, but incrementally if we upgraded annually, there would be little to notice. My comment about Moore's Law likely being eclipsed and sped up is more about what's happening deeper in the industry...things like quantum computing, potentials for bio-computing and the influence on AI that may very well speed things up relative to performance development even more than with just humans doing the deed. There are a number of areas that are likely "on the crux" of major leaps forward. It's either really kewel...or really scary. Or both, depending on one's point of view.
    --

I find the specs hard to comprehend even allowing they are lab setup speeds and maybe only attainable for a short time but having a device you can write 5 billion characters to in a second (NVME disk) is beyond reality. Going with some typical size specs for a non-illustrated book, that is 5000 books per second.

That is some of the change in what we also use computers for. 30 years ago, people were just saving text documents and the like (digital photography wasn't really much a thing until 2000s I think), so files were quite small. But now with people saving large image files, or more to the point, video files which can be thousands of times larger than those old documents, read and write speed actually become important.

So if your computer use has not changed at all in 20 years, you could probably use that 20 year old computer without issues. But of course peoples computer use does change - even if it comes down to using the web, 20 years ago you did not care about performance of playing videos from the web, where probably everyone cares about that now (and it really isn't an issue for any computer because it is known that is an important use case so hardware is well optimized for playing back video content). But this also means that browsers change to support new audio/video codecs, etc.

The thing is, no one really knows what will be the next big thing or how computers will be used 10 years from now, and thus whether the computers we have now will be at all useful in that future world.

I haven't heard or read anything about Windows 12 hardware requirements. I would speculate that there won't be the shift in hardware requirements that there are from Windows 10 to Windows 11. To Microsoft's credit they have instructions on how to bypass the hardware checks that Windows 11 performs so it's possible to install Windows 11 on a machine that wouldn't support it 'out of the box'. The risk in doing so is that updates and upgrades may or may not work and Microsoft doesn't support it. Sounds like "Here ya go, use it at your own risk. If it blows up don't call us." If I needed to install Windows 11 on an old machine, I'd use an app called "Rufus". It kind of automates the process. Will Rufus work with Windows 12? Dunno.

I hate windows 11 wish I could go back to windows 10

lady at the post office said same other day. I have 7 several of them then linux and a donated Mac.

One 7 on the net and one off, external drive if issues plug and play nother computer I got trapped a year ago no fun being a victim of these boxes. Have 10 and too many bells and whistles 7 is simple like my 50 year old european machines. Its a bit of a bother to transfer saved from the online ones to the other on a memory stick but its fine same time for the peace of mind. When I learn and do video editing ill get a box suitable for that and whatever is needed

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    ... To Microsoft's credit they have instructions on how to bypass the hardware checks that Windows 11 performs so it's possible to install Windows 11 on a machine that wouldn't support it 'out of the box'. The risk in doing so is that updates and upgrades may or may not work and Microsoft doesn't support it. Sounds like "Here ya go, use it at your own risk. If it blows up don't call us." If I needed to install Windows 11 on an old machine, I'd use an app called "Rufus". It kind of automates the process. Will Rufus work with Windows 12? Dunno.
    As far as I'm concerned it is unfortunate they even did this. W10 is very capable of running most if not all software but the main thrust of the restrictions for W11 was security - you know, the thing a lot of people like to complain about. This is likely the first time that MS has said their new OS will not run on some not so-real-old hardware. Windows users have always enjoyed a high-level of backwards compatibility. So this essentially keeps older less secure systems kicking around.