Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chainsaws, off-brand

This also depends on where you live. I live in the suburbs.

My first log was an ash tree on my property that the city removed (at my note) because it was diseased. The crew removing it were happy to leave the big pieces behind - less work for them.

My second was a neighbor was having a dead cypress removed - the quality/size of that wasn't great, but his neighbor took the opportunity to hire the crew already there to remove a plum tree, so I grabbed that wood.

Third was a friend knowing I'm into wood turning - he was having an olive (not much good wood on that - not sure if I took much) and a podacarpus removed, so I grabbed some of that.

But as another hobbyist in the area noted, there are always trees being removed - I've not gone out hunting yet (still have a pile of ash and podacarpus to deal with), but probably about once/month, there is some tree in the nearby area being removed. When I get to the point of actually needing (and having space) for more wood, I'll probably put a post on nextdoor, asking folks that are having trees removed to maybe keep the big pieces for me for woodturning (I'd likely give them a bowl after I'm done as thanks) - I'm not sure how well that will work in actual reality.

But for that matter, whenever I hear a chainsaw running, I could wander over and see what is being cut down (did that a few days ago - it was just someone pruning on a pine tree - not big enough to be useful, and not sure I'd want to deal with all the pitch in pine anyways).

But I'm in a relatively high density area (1/6 to 1/8 acre lots) so lots of different homeowners in the area. If I was in a rural area, other than trees on my own property, I'd need a different strategy.

I have one of the clone 660 kits that I built for milling. It was a lot of fun and runs great.

I put a 52 inch bar on it and it pulls out fairly well with skip .

I've milled about 3000 board feet with it so far and the only issues I've had are the so so tensioner and some assembly mistakes(which were mine). I might buy another to have a a spare as well as something ready to go with a28-36 inch bar when my 026 is out of its league.

I have two Dolmar (Makita now) saws. One that will handle up to a 24" bar and one that will handle up to a 36" bar. I just picked up a Poulan Wildthing at an Estate Sale for $10. All the fuel lines were shot and I had to replace the carburetor and sharpen the chain so I'm into it for $40. It fills a nitch between my other saws.
    Every once in a while a big Stihl or Husqvarna or Jonsered shows up on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace around here for a descent price. Sometimes Shindaiwa (Japanese Jonsered) show up also. I don't have much need for anything bigger than a 36" bar although I did put eye prints on a new Shihl with a 42" bar at my local farm and ranch store. The $2300 price tag kind of put me off though.

Have you looked into something like these? They might work if you're not doing commercial work. They're probably not as good in the long run as Stihl or Husqvarna

https://www.amazon.com/NEO-TEC-NS892...07&sr=1-3&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/2-Cycle-Chain...%2C180&sr=1-27

Quote Originally Posted by James Baldwin View Post
    I have two Dolmar (Makita now) saws. One that will handle up to a 24" bar and one that will handle up to a 36" bar. I just picked up a Poulan Wildthing at an Estate Sale for $10. All the fuel lines were shot and I had to replace the carburetor and sharpen the chain so I'm into it for $40. It fills a nitch between my other saws.
    Every once in a while a big Stihl or Husqvarna or Jonsered shows up on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace around here for a descent price. Sometimes Shindaiwa (Japanese Jonsered) show up also. I don't have much need for anything bigger than a 36" bar although I did put eye prints on a new Shihl with a 42" bar at my local farm and ranch store. The $2300 price tag kind of put me off though.

Have you looked into something like these? They might work if you're not doing commercial work. They're probably not as good in the long run as Stihl or Husqvarna

https://www.amazon.com/NEO-TEC-NS892...07&sr=1-3&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/2-Cycle-Chain...%2C180&sr=1-27
    I bought one, post #27 in this thread

This one showed up on the local Craigslist. If I bought it I'd be out cutting down the 100' tall Blue Spruce in our front yard. The only thing is I don't think that I could pick the thing up with the 54" bar on it. Jim

https://boise.craigslist.org/hvo/d/n...699549470.html

I've tried this brand called IMOUM, but I only tried their mini chainsaw. It has a pole included for branches up top. It works nicely for me so far, I only had it for 3 months now. It does the job for cheap.