Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaper Origin - 1gen vs 2gen

Shaper Origin - 1gen vs 2gen

Hey all, I see that you can get the original Shaper for about $1800 vs $2800 for the current model. Is that money well saved, or are there capabilities for the 2gen that make it well worth the additional cost?

no , i have not seen much of a difference ...I am hoping the camera will pick up better ,
    i would say its not worth the upgrade like I did

The best way to answer that would be to ask how often you'd use it and if . If this was going to be my main tool, then I'd rather pony up $1000 more rather than regret wasting $1800. It also depends on personality. I'm a stickler for things like screen frame rates and performance.

I've been looking at Shaper's lately as well. I have to believe the Gen 2 machines were introduced to overcome some defincinces in the Gen 1 units. It might not be something we immediately see, could be simply future proofing by going to Gen 2. At least that is where my thought's are right now. I know that I would be very disappointed to get a Gen 1 and then find out 6 months from now it does not support some new functionality the Gen 2 machines do. That would make the money saved look less than favorable.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

That's a very good point Dan.

My understanding is the gen2 has a better camera and better screen. I recently went through the should I save a $1,000.00 or go for the 2. I finally decided on the 2. There is some good information on the Origin forum.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I don't use it every day but possibly once per week
    again the larger screen is a small amount bigger than gen2, and as I said I am hoping on the camera pick up
    and i do not use there files , make my own

Well, I went with a Gen 2. Ordered it last night, did the full package with the Plate, Work Station and Auto Pass. Should keep me busy this winter.

Congrats. That’s very exciting. If I did it, I’d buy the same package. Looking forward to seeing projects posted here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    Well, I went with a Gen 2. Ordered it last night, did the full package with the Plate, Work Station and Auto Pass. Should keep me busy this winter.
    That's going to be a great addition to your shop, Dan! Congrats! Good idea just getting the whole schmegeggie, too...those features greatly expand the use cases and that's good for making the investment pay off even more.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim and Michael, I'm looking forward to this addition. I'm fairly handy with Fusion 360, have a Bambu 3d printer, a Glowforge laser and small CNC metal mill (that needs a new control package) and now the Shaper. Once my new shop is built in the spring I may go for a full size CNC router table, will depend on how big the shop can be $$$?

OP, sorry for the thread hijack!

shaper origin gen 2

There is a difference between the gen 1 and gen2 (must admit)
    I got to use the gen 2 again today and yes the screen is better but the camera is
    much better and locks on way better to the ID tape than gen 1
    Also i do like the usbc port (mind you they provide both usb and usbc)
    Attached Images Attached Images

So far, probably 95% of my work is on the work station. I've never had any issues with the camera on my Gen 1. Did a run of panels for our first grandson.
    Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 11.54.28 PM.jpg

thats good work and the work station is the best way to use shaper origin

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    Thanks Jim and Michael, I'm looking forward to this addition. I'm fairly handy with Fusion 360, have a Bambu 3d printer, a Glowforge laser and small CNC metal mill (that needs a new control package) and now the Shaper. Once my new shop is built in the spring I may go for a full size CNC router table, will depend on how big the shop can be $$$?

OP, sorry for the thread hijack!
    Let me know what you think Dan. I'm considering ordering one as well, before the 20th. I like the idea of adding a capable tool to my arsenal. Plus, I make a living in high-tech and this kind of stuff is right up my alley