Thread: Cherry dresser

Cherry dresser

I just finished this for a new grand daughter. It was supposed to be done in Aug when she arrived in the world, but que sera sera. My first attempt at curved work, first use of veneer. Cherry with walnut accents around the drawers. I'm reasonably happy, but given the amount of time spent fixing mistakes: if I did this for a living I'd starve to death. Handles done on the band saw, with threaded inserts added for the screws.
    My daughter chose a bunny theme for the nursery, so I added Peter Rabbit as an inset. (She also likes hidden compartments, we'll see how long it takes her to figure out the secret.)
    It's sitting on a pallet on the lift table; I'll finish the crate in the morning, wheel it out and into the trailer, and take it to a shipper; I'm in southeastern Minn and she is near Seattle.
    Terry T.
    dresser4.jpgdresser2.jpgdresser3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a beautiful piece….an heirloom for sure.
    Chris

Blog Entries
    A nice looking piece.

I shipped a dresser from Northwest PA to Tucson some years ago and it arrived in perfect condition. Make sure the drawers cannot slide open during transit and handling. Make sure that you pad all the way around when you crate it. Gravity sometimes ceases to exist in the back of trucks, so make sure it is tied to the pallet or prevented from bouncing around inside the crate. Make sure the pallet will accept the forks of a fork truck and pallet jack. I would advise assembling the crate with screws so it can be easily opened on the receiving end.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Really nice and that figure is perfect for the job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wonderful chest of drawers Terry. I like the cock beading of the drawers...the curves create a bit more challenge...well done!

Blog Entries
    What a looker! Well done br'er-rabbit. Beautiful figure and I love the pulls.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Beautiful work sir. That will be cherished for years to come! I love the figure in the cherry, very nicely selected.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

What a beautiful chest of drawers! Love the wood, the finish and the execution! That, Terry, is an instant family heirloom that will be handed down for generations! Well done, Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Beautiful all the way around. Personal touches too! Gotta love it!

Great looking dresser. The secret compartments will make you a legend for sure!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Very Nice !!!! Mike O'Keefe

Thanks to all for the positive compliments. The sides of the top drawer opening are 3/4 material, the Peter Rabbit block covers the ends of them and has a long narrow (3") drawer inset to the back of it. There is no latch, just magnets (Lee Valley, cup and washer). You have to remove the two top drawers (to have room for your hand), grab the rabbit carving with one hand, and boldly give it a tug. I made a bookcase for my daughter years ago in which the top crown molding rotated up to to reveal a hidden compartment-- there was a small inconspicuous hole in which one pushed a knitting needle to trip the latch. So I suspect she will be look this over very carefully in search for something similar. But I don't think the puzzle will stop her for long :-)

For shipping, I first put a few misc Xmas gifts in a drawer, with the contents of a large box of Pampers for padding (she has a newborn - they will get used), then wrapped stretch plastic around it so the drawers can't move, then in a cardboard box (from a rolling tool chest, being thrown away at a local big box), then a 2x4 at each corner, screwed to the pallet, another 2x4 pair along the top front and top back edges tight to the cardboard, then sheath in 1/2" OSB (screws so that they can disassemble). Screw the OSB to the pallet in a few places. I'm hoping that is sufficient to protect it from shippers. Delivered it to an LTL shipper in Minneapolis, $560 to a terminal in Seattle/Tacoma where they will pick it up (yikes!). The weight of the final packet was just over 2x the weight of the dresser.