Thread: Transparent Wood

Blog Entries

Transparent Wood

This article was in my Google news today. I don't think this transparent resin process / product can be considered to be wood. It is an interesting article and an interesting idea.

The material the scientists worked with is thin—typically less than a millimeter to around a centimeter thick. But the cells create a sturdy honeycomb structure, and the tiny wood fibers are stronger than the best carbon fibers, says materials scientist Liangbing Hu, who leads the research group working on transparent wood at the University of Maryland in College Park. And with the resin added, transparent wood outperforms plastic and glass: In tests measuring how easily materials fracture or break under pressure, transparent wood came out around three times stronger than transparent plastics like Plexiglass and about 10 times tougher than glass.
    Why scientists are making transparent wood | Ars Technica
    Best Regards, Maurice

My money's on Transparent Aluminum...

I mean, Scotty has always come through in the past (future?)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John M Wilson View Post
    My money's on Transparent Aluminum...

I mean, Scotty has always come through in the past (future?)
    I love it! "A keyboard, How quaint"

Best Regards, Maurice

Saw that article. The most interesting part for me was the potential to replace glass in cell phone screens. Two reasons to replace a modern smart phone, IMHO: the screen breaks, the battery needs to be replaced. If they move to transparent wood, that might fix #1, which just leaves the battery, and we know they can make phones with replaceable batteries....

Blog Entries
    I was surprised to learn that early plastic wrap, AKA cellophane, contains plant material. Nitrocellulose Lacquer too. Creating these things seems like a very nasty process. I am glad to read that the transparent wood scientists are thinking about sustainability.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Wow, I could build a submersible out of transparent wood. Imagine the possibilities. I could charge tourists tens of thousands of dollars go down to the Titanic and they could see everything all around them in such a transparent submersible.

I'll make a fortune. What could go wrong?