Thread: Short rails for g0691

Short rails for g0691

When I first got into ww few years ago, I thought I NEEDED the big boy rip capacity of the 60691 but I've never needed it once yet and it's literally just became a lazy spot for me to lay everything I don't feel like putting away. My shop has also filled up over the past few years to the point I'm putting off working on things because I know I have to move a bunch of machines around to make space to use the one I need.

I don't want to cut my current rails but grizzly pretty much said good luck it's all discontinued (not in a rude way), when I reached out to them for bolt on options.

Basically I'd love to find bolt on rails that work with factory fence but I realize that's unlikely. If I have to buy fence and rails I'd like it to be simple as possible. If there isn't a simple or cheap option I'd probably end up getting the incra setup like I got for my router but that's a last resort. Quality of the incra stuff is amazing for me but I have to read part of the book and watch a video or two every time I use the incra router setup lol.

Where does that leave me for options?

Looks like the fence on that saw is a Biesemeyer style fence which means the rails are just a rectangular tube and angle iron. Making your own rails from readily available stock steel is easy, the only metalworking is drilling and tapping a few holes. Just measure up the existing angle iron and rectangular tube and pick up the steel from a metal recycling facility or new steel supplier cut to the new length you want. Use the existing angle iron to mark the locations for the holes to mount it to the saw table, the holes to bolt the rectangular tube to angle iron can be wherever you want as long as they match each other. I did just that to make rails for my General 350 with a Bessy fence a few years ago and I have little metal working experience or tools. Knowing how easy it is to make new rails, in your situation I would just cut the existing rails to the length you want.

Why don't you want to cut your current rails? Thinking you may need them at some point in the future? Brian
    Brian

Is there a reason you don't want to cut your rails ? What Doug said is spot on. The other way to go is just buy new rails and fence from Grizzly and bolt it up. You will have to drill a few new holes in your table but that cast iron is soft, drills easy, installing a fence on a TS is a very simple task.
    Good luck !

As has been noted, if you want to replace rather than cut, you can either buy a compatible but shorter rail from another saw make/model with a tee-square type fence or simply make your own from rectangular steel if you are reasonably handy with a drill and tap. They are simple constructions.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Right now Griz has a shop-fox fence with standard rails on sale for about half price.
    https://www.grizzly.com/products/sho...rd-rails/w2005

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Right now Griz has a shop-fox fence with standard rails on sale for about half price.
    https://www.grizzly.com/products/sho...rd-rails/w2005
    This looks like the best bet if you want to replace. I looked for parts for the G01023RL and pricing the front rail, rear rail, and front tube it comes out to $360.

The sale doesn't last long

If you need any help making your own, check out this series of videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSRXU59DCHw&t=39s

I had the 52” fence on my SS PCS and like you found that I built mountains on the table. I dropped the table and added the router table wing and cut the rails. For the cost and hassle of making your own or buying new shorter rails I’d simply cut down the ones you all ready own and do not really want. I cut mine with a M12 Milwaukee sawz-all and they came out just fine. I don’t miss the long rails at all.

Brandon,

I recently replaced the long rails on one of my saws for about $60 in metal. Drilling and tapping everything is very easy and a great project to learn on if that’s not in your wheelhouse.

But in hindsight, I should have just cut the existing rails because now I have to store the long rails!

Jeff

I didn't want to cut the current rails in case I changed my mind later. And while I'm completely capable of doing the metal work to Fab a new set the last thing I need after an 80+ hr work week is another project. I've had a workbench I've been building sitting on sawhorses waiting on the finishing touches for about 2 and 1/2 years now.

Cutting the rails is starting to sound like the way to go.

There is a delta 36-t30 t Square fence setup new in the box for sale locally for a little over $200 I'm guessing that would work drilling new holes?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanley View Post
    There is a delta 36-t30 t Square fence setup new in the box for sale locally for a little over $200 I'm guessing that would work drilling new holes?
    That's an excellent fence, I had new one on my previous saw and no complaints. My current saw is a General 350 with an old Bessy and the Delta is just as good in my opinion. Installing it on the Grizzly should be no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanley View Post
    Should be easy to bolt up, with or without drilling any holes, depending on things. The holes in the cast iron tops "tend" to be consistent in many saws.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...