Thread: Cordless backpack vac for festool like setup?

Cordless backpack vac for festool like setup?

Dear Creekers,

I moved yesterday. It's gorgeous. I donated my big power tools away.

I'm thinking of maybe getting a Makita backpack vacuum, so that I can do woodworking without making a mess (cordless planer, cordless circular saw, cordless router).

Is this a dumb idea?

When I've used a corded vacuum hooked to tools, I've found that I have to hook the hose over my shoulder...or use a boom arm.

I just wonder if cordless tools and a backpack vac will allow comfortable ergonomics, with relatively less dust, ina very mobile setup.

I'm the wrong one to ask about this since I have some unexplainable draw towards cordless operation.
    There is just something about cordless operation that sucks me into it like a moth to a flame.

After having both a cordless Makita track saw and a corded Festool TS55EQ track saw - at the same time - and preferring the cordless Makita 99.99999% of the time (if not 100% since I don't recall using the Festool at all for the year I had both),,,,I can only say there is just something about how "clean" it is to use cordless.

I recently posted about getting a Makita cordless sliding miter saw & begged people to talk me out of it.
    Common sense has so far won out on that. The seller still has the saw listed for sale and it's still at $500.

If it's still that after Christmas, I may offer him $300 as a take it or leave it.

Anyhow - that's me. In your case, as long as you have the $$ for the batteries & it make you happy, go for it. I can't think of any logical reason to prefer going cordless - other than you want to, which is really good enough - as long as it's your money.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

As long as the sound level is acceptable to you and you can easily turn it off and on, it doesn't seem like a bad solution outside of possible back strain. But also consider how efficient it filters compared to an extractor like the Festool or similar. That's important, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey Rich,

You're exactly the right guy to answer!

I went with corded because it was cheaper and I had space. I'd get stuff used or refurbished, and make stuff work. My first real nice bit of festool-like kit was a corded Makita tracksaw.

Now, I have more money, but less space/access to plugs.

I'm sorta trying to think outside the box.
    Currently, I'm in the Bosch and Makita battery sphere.

Matt, if it's possible to try a cordless vac in-person before you buy it, I'd highly recommend it. I bought a Makita backpack a few years ago with the idea of using it on our hardwood floors for general cleaning, and ended up selling it because of how anemic it was. Just nothing close to the power of a plug-in vac. I suppose if you were a small-framed person with a tiny little space to clean, you might like it, but it felt more like a toy than a tool, to me.

I actually did some testing with it, with results here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ed)&highlight=

So, check out the CFM and static lift numbers. The Makita backpack actually performs about as well as their little stick vacuum, which surprised me.

Not to dissuade you from your idea, but just to hopefully set your expectation that you're going to have a vacuum that's about half-as-good as what you're likely used to.

um……………………..

aren’t any of you fellas concerned about the run time of a cordless vacuum ? Why don’t you check out the stated runtimes and report back. Remember to discount for the real world conditions you’ll likely encounter too.

And have you thought about the small capacity. The large Makita is 1.6gal and the small is a paltry 1/2gal. Might be ok for a sander but a router or a planer is gonna fill that up even before your batteries give out.

And unless your Makita tools have AWS you’ll need to deal with manually turning the vac on and off from a separate control station every time. Even if your tools are AWS equipped, that’s only available on the tiny vac anyway - and worthless on non Makita tools.

I also don’t see how the ergonomics of this setup will be better than a corded vac even if you’re comfortable with capacity and run time drawbacks.

YMMV

BTW Jim, those vacs have HEPA filtration so filtration shouldn’t really be a concern.

I can't speak for Matt, but, what I see using this small type of setup for is making a few passes with the track saw or using the trim router to round over a small piece of work.

The on/off could be an issue though. A small corded backpack with a cheap remote might be better.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon