Thread: Delta 46-765X tailstock

Delta 46-765X tailstock

One of the known problems with the 46-765X and other Delta lathes of the same basic design is that the tailstock doesn't clamp securely to the ways. Probably not many people still using these lathes but I wonder whether anyone knows of a simple and effective fix before I start trying things because my machine is getting worse. Maybe rough up the surface of the clamp plate or attach a rubber or abrasive sheet to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes Anderson View Post
    One of the known problems with the 46-765X and other Delta lathes of the same basic design is that the tailstock doesn't clamp securely to the ways. Probably not many people still using these lathes but I wonder whether anyone knows of a simple and effective fix before I start trying things because my machine is getting worse. Maybe rough up the surface of the clamp plate or attach a rubber or abrasive sheet to it?
    Might just be that the bolt down below is a little loose--my first try would be to tighten that a little (start at about 1/8 turn at a time and see if it gets better). Also take a look at the washer that snugs to the underside of the ways--is it bent or worn? Is a suitable replacement available. If those fail...
    There's a guy on the IAP (penturners) forum named Rick Herrell who makes tail stock clamp blocks. Some, like the Rikon 70-100 and 70-220 or the Delta 46-460 he keeps on hand...but can custom make anything with the measurement between the ways and the needed bolt hole size. Basically a steel rectangle with a raised area between the ways to create a tighter fit. Rick doesn't have a web site, just posts as a vendor and folks reach out with what they need. Pretty reasonable for those of us without skill in working stainless steel.

The fix for other lathes has always been changing the round plate that pinches the bed to a square plate to add to the surface area for better grip. Don't know about your lathe without Googling the parts list.

The plate is square. I roughed it up with an angle grinder and tightened the nuts (U-bolt, nuts washers, cam etc. all in good condition) and it still doesn't get a good purchase on the ways. Maybe epoxy thickened with aluminum oxide.

Maybe extend the tightening bar so you can put more torque on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Maybe extend the tightening bar so you can put more torque on it.
    The stock lever arm would have to be replaced with a stronger alloy but it could work. I already stripped the threads on the original by over-torquing it.