Thread: Veneer storage

Veneer storage

Hi all,

I have a couple marquetry projects coming up and decided to slice some more veneer to stock up. Which made me face the fact that my veneer collection has been scattered in cardboard boxes and piles shoved into crannies on the lumber rack. Soooo...spent a couple hours cutting a new pile of veneers last weekend.

IMG_7891.jpg

I use ~2.0 mm thick veneer, so it stacks well on end and I spent Sunday afternoon rounding up scrap plywood, building some boxes with a divider, sorting the collection and finding a spot for the longer boxes on the wall. The smaller boxes are now tucked in to shelves below my sharpening station.

IMG_7895.jpg
    IMG_7898.jpg
    IMG_7905.jpg

A lot of work but should pay dividends for a long time.

For anyone who deals with veneer, how do you store/deal with it?
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

This topic caught my eye. I've got a small shop in the back of the garage, and I like to buy long pieces of raw veneer, so storage is always a challenge. Pretty crude, but I built a long (13'?) shelf near the ceiling and stack it up there (and some paper towels and a moving blanket too, apparently).

And I can see you put those long veneer sheets to good use-great looking workbench and cabinets!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Thanks! Overkill for a garage, but I enjoy working with veneer, so I used it as an excuse.