Thread: Triple e over shellac?

Triple e over shellac?

I have a white pine cup/ pencil holder that is live edge with the pine bark still attached around the top. I thought about putting a few coats to help protect the bark around the top and then finishing the rest with triple E and wax. I know the shellac will likely get on some of the inside or outside wood. Will the triple E work over the parts that get shellac? Or should I find a different finish?
    Thanks,
    Denny
    Denny

Always try to be the best but, never think you are the best.

What in the world is triple E? I'm assuming you don't mean eastern equine encephalitis virus which is what the first four pages of google hits is about-- I didn't look further.

Here it is on sale for Black Friday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not familiar with triple E, but I have put various waxes over shellac on my bowls. I often use Acks for their fine grit abrasive followed by their polish.

I nearly always rub out shellac finish with hard wax applied with 0000 steel wool, so should be no issue. Can you do a quick test board?
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Crawford View Post
    Not familiar with triple E, but I have put various waxes over shellac on my bowls. I often use Acks for their fine grit abrasive followed by their polish.
    Triple e is a similar product to acks.
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    I nearly always rub out shellac finish with hard wax applied with 0000 steel wool, so should be no issue. Can you do a quick test board?
    Didn't do a test board but, did put on triple e this morning, followed by Mylands wax and then a coat of Renaissance wax. It looks good.
    Denny

I use EEE ultra shine (or triple e) to buff and even out shellac and shellac based finishes on the lathe all the time. You can also use the Bealls buffing system (now sold by Lee Valley) if the piece is already off the lathe