Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust collection advice for my tiny basement shop

FWIW, I think you're on a good track and congrats on the new saw. I have a good friend with a 5 hp cyclone that he hasn't gotten around to setting up for years because his gorilla does a good enough job moving from tool to tool.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Thanks Christopher, I'm really looking forward to all the new learning and project possibilities after 5 years of hesitation to pull the trigger on a BS. Go figure - now I need to spend... more!

My advice for anybody with a basement shop, like I do, is to put some money aside and each month take your wife out for a nice dinner - she will be a lot more tolerant of your tracking chips, sawdust and anything else upstairs.

LOL - that is some sage advice right there Bill.

I have a basement shop, my wife loves it because she knows where i am at. Every once in a while, she gets a new piece of furniture.
    A air filter is very important in a basement shop. Mine used to run for weeks at a time when my health was better, and I worked down in the basement everyday.
    Ron

Ron makes a good point and an interim solution if your space is fairly small and your DC has a good filter is to keep the dust collector on for several minutes to turn over the air a couple times after big runs.

And Bill's advice to strategically reallocate a portion of the shop budget is spot on. Similarly, I figure one machine is worth (at least one) vacation to someplace sunny!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

The only major downfall to the HF unit is the filter fabric. It lets a lot of fine dust out in the air. The HF with a cyclone and Wynn filter got me by for 4-5 years before I upgraded. You can get a HF for $100 used/ New wynn filter/super dust deputy/40 gallon bin for under $600