Thread: Epilog Zing Downgrade from Mini?

Question Epilog Zing Downgrade from Mini?

I was looking into buying a used 2021 Epilog Zing but it seems as though they did away with the auto-focus feature. Is this true? On my Mini that's about all I use. Only once and a great while do I use the manual focus. Is it easy to get used to manual focus? Seems like a bit of a hassle. The other thing I noticed is the DPI is different. On my Mini it goes in increments of 400, 600 and 1200 but the Zing only goes from 400 to 500 to 1000. I normally engrave @ 400 DPI and occasionally 600 DPI. Not that 100 DPI makes a huge difference but it is nice to have a slightly higher res. The maximum engraving height is also less on the Zing than on the Mini. Is it me or has Epilog started making cheaper versions of their machines...??
    Epilog 35 Watt Mini 12" x 24"
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55
    CorelDraw 2017, Illustrator, Photoshop

I took the auto focus thing off my mini within a few weeks of buying the laser and never looked back. While the auto focus may be fine for most sheet goods, it's not good for knives, flasks, yo-yo's, stones, or anything else that don't happen to have a flat engraving/cutting surface positioned exactly under that spot in the upper left hand corner where auto focus checks. Or if you are engraving on a curved surface where you want to focus on a spot halfway between the high and low spot for sharpest overall appearance. Or if you want to focus a bit high to engrave a thicker, darker line. Or if you want to focus a bit lower to cut through a thicker substrate better.

Yes, Epilog's Zing is a cheaper, entry-level version of their mini to give hobbyists and severely budget constrained buyers a cheaper way to get into lasers.

Thank you for your feedback Glen. Most of what I engrave is plastic, metal, glass and acrylic awards. I do occasionally use my rotary attachment as well for things like glassware and Yeti tumblers. I'm guessing I could get used to not having auto focus but it will take some time since I've had my Mini for quite awhile.

Also, thank you for confirming that the Zing is the entry-level model for hobbyists. I think what I would really need to invest in to have an equal machine is the Fusion Edge 12.
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55

Quote Originally Posted by Liesl Dexheimer View Post
    Thank you for your feedback Glen. Most of what I engrave is plastic, metal, glass and acrylic awards. I do occasionally use my rotary attachment as well for things like glassware and Yeti tumblers. I'm guessing I could get used to not having auto focus but it will take some time since I've had my Mini for quite awhile.

Also, thank you for confirming that the Zing is the entry-level model for hobbyists. I think what I would really need to invest in to have an equal machine is the Fusion Edge 12.
    The biggest difference with the Zing line is they use stepper motors instead of servos, so they run at considerably slower speeds.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Ahhhh thank you for that information. I just tested a Zing that someone is selling locally. It seemed to take a long time to engrave a 2x8 plastic plate. Took about 45 sec @ 48 pt font engraving @ 400 dpi. I'll have to test my Mini and compare but I'm guessing it will be around 30 secs.
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55

I was right, 28 secs to engrave the same thing on my Mini. Hmmm now I'm really unsure of what I will do. My Mini is 19 yrs old and is becoming less reliable. Not sure if I should purchase the used Zing to hold me over until I feel it would be a good time to buy a Fusion Edge or if I should keep using my Mini until the tube finally dies but then I will be in a bit of a pickle. I know the used Zing has under 50 hrs and is in mint condition and was manufactured in 2021.
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Utick View Post
    The biggest difference with the Zing line is they use stepper motors instead of servos, so they run at considerably slower speeds.
    Probably a stupid question but I'm assuming the Edge 12 uses servo motors, correct?
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55

Quote Originally Posted by Liesl Dexheimer View Post
    Probably a stupid question but I'm assuming the Edge 12 uses servo motors, correct?
    Yes. According to the Epilog site, it's Brushless DC Servo motors and capable of 120 inches/s engraving speeds with 5G of acceleration.

https://www.epiloglaser.com/laser-ma...er/#tech-specs
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer