Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What’s The Trick . . . .

Reading through all of your comments I realized my idiocy. I was never seating the collet in the nut, but rather just inserting the collet in to the spindle, inserting the bit, and then tightening the nut. So when reversing the process the collet nut would come off the threads but the bit was still in the collet, which was still in the spindle.

Yes, I’m one of those idiots that doesn’t typically read the manual. Maybe that should change.

Thanks for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    squeeze the wrenches together..
    The one handed wrench squeeze for tightening and loosening has saved my knuckles many times.

If my knuckles are getting sore I just use my teeth, saves my fingers a lot.

how bout a pair of gloves ?

Tapping on the spindle will shorten the life of the bearings. Whether or not it would be noticeable in a router is another matter.

A spindle in a CNC ... never never never.

that makes sense Wes. Reality three routers used to do manual cutting and trimming with way more load than if CNC. Bearings screaming at times they all have their original bearings and work fine. I think if i just kept using the wrenches and went further there would be a second release. Always just given it a knock with one of the wrenches but what you said makes sense.