Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Test Clock using John Harrison's Grasshopper Escapement

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Thanks for the explanation John. Makes sense how you got the perfect profile using the 1.5mm cutter.

Nice that you can plug your information into a program and have it do the calculations for you. We had to memorize 12 different calculations for the spur gear and do the math to four decimals without the help of a calculator.

I use a gear calculator by Matthias Wandel for the wheels and pinions, very thorough and convenient. It, too, creates dxf files, better ones than Clayton Boyer's, in fact, that I pull into my CNC design program. However, there is no such calculator that I'm aware of for escape wheels, and they are the most complicated. It took me several hours to design the acrylic one above. Still much better than trying to cut those 120 teeth to the same angles and length by hand.

Four decimal places by hand? That must have been tedious.

John

Unreal, that's all I can say!

I think John might be the first one on the creek that makes a robot out of wood.
    Awesome precision John
    Aj

Amazing work. Thanks for the photos. This is inspiring.

Wow this is really some serious talent you have, John. Great work! Can't say I have the same patience for this kind of project lol

Fantastically intriguing project. Something I have never considered building and can really only imagine how much time and thought went into this!